cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitting the magical 7 years next month..

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Hitting the magical 7 years next month..

Next month a collection for a broken lease is due to fall off my husbands (and my) CR. Is there anything they can do to make this not fall off?? We're very close to 640 to qualify for a loan to have a house built and I'm thinking after this collection ages off it will put my husbands score at over over 640, or REALLY close to 640. I've told my mom and grandmother about the collection falling off and the fact that I think this will give him the score we need, and they've both said "yea but they could sell it to another CA and the 7 years starts all over" This isn't true, correct? It's only allowed to report 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD? Even if it's sold to a new CA, that doesn't change the CRTP or the DOFD, so no matter what, it can't report after next month, right? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Hitting the magical 7 years next month..

@cwwatts1202 wrote:

Next month a collection for a broken lease is due to fall off my husbands (and my) CR. Is there anything they can do to make this not fall off?? We're very close to 640 to qualify for a loan to have a house built and I'm thinking after this collection ages off it will put my husbands score at over over 640, or REALLY close to 640. I've told my mom and grandmother about the collection falling off and the fact that I think this will give him the score we need, and they've both said "yea but they could sell it to another CA and the 7 years starts all over" This isn't true, correct? It's only allowed to report 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD? Even if it's sold to a new CA, that doesn't change the CRTP or the DOFD, so no matter what, it can't report after next month, right? Thanks in advance!

If the CRTP is up next month it will be removed, the next CA who gets the account can not report back onto your credit reports. However if your lender decides to pull a factual report and sees the unpaid debt they might make you pay it. 

Message 2 of 9
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

@cwwatts1202 wrote:

If the CRTP is up next month it will be removed, the next CA who gets the account can not report back onto your credit reports. However if your lender decides to pull a factual report and sees the unpaid debt they might make you pay it. 

From what I've read in the mortgage forum that's rare and if it does happen, it's usually if the loan is over 150k.. I've already told them that we had 2 collections aging off and they didnt say anything about them needing to be paid anyway or looking any deeper into what collections he's had that may have aged off (this will make the 2nd one) she was like ok good that will make his score go up.. it's a usda direct loan. 

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What if they simply ask, in the loan app process, if you have any unpaid, delinquent debt?

Message 4 of 9
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

What if they simply ask, in the loan app process, if you have any unpaid, delinquent debt?

My question was about the 7 year CRTP and getting turned over to a new CA, not about the loan process, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Gotta get the 640 first. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@cwwatts1202 wrote:

It can be sold 1000 times but can no longer be put on his CR.  So, no, it is not true.  Nothing changes the DoFD and if they tried and you have proof, it is a violation of the FCRA and they would be in a lot of trouble.

Message 6 of 9
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Is it possible to personally get a full factual report? It would be nice to know if there is something on that report before applying for a mortgage above $150k.

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The credit report exclusion provisions of FCRA 605(a) prohibit the CRAs from normally issuing a credit report to others that includes any adverse item of information that has passed its exclusion period, unless the person requesting the report certifies that the purpose of their request meets one of the exemption provisions of section 605(b), such as when a consumer applies for credit or insurance with a principal value of at least $150K.  Then they can get a full facutal report.

When a consumer makes a request for their own credit report, nothing in the CR exclusion provisions prevent the CRA from including such adverse information.

Since reports obtained thru annualcreditreport.com are limited only to consumers obtaining their own reports, nothing would prevent the CRA from including such information in those reports. 

While it is possible that reports a consumer pulls thru that site could legally include all factual adverse iitems in their file, I kinda doubt that the CRAs maintain separate algorithms for generating reports requested via that consumer site.  It would be interesting to inow from consumers who have excluded information whether it appears in their annualcreditreport.com pulls, but I kinda doubt it.

To get such a report, however, would still be possible.  FCRA 609(a)(1) stipulates that "Every consumer reporting agency shall, upon request, and subject to the considetions of section 610(a)(1), clearly and accurately disclose to the consumer all information in the consumer's credit file at the time of the request...."

That would incude information excluded from normal credit reports issued to others, which still remains in the consumer's credit file.

Requests under section 609(a)(1) must be accompanied by proof of identity, and the CRA processing fee, which is currrently $11.00.

Try a section 609(a)(1) request.

Message 8 of 9
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@cwwatts1202 wrote:

It can be sold 1000 times but can no longer be put on his CR.  So, no, it is not true.  Nothing changes the DoFD and if they tried and you have proof, it is a violation of the FCRA and they would be in a lot of trouble.

That's exactly what I told my mom and grandmother when they said that, but the paranoid side of me came out and I wanted to make sure!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.