Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hold out on payment.

tag
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Hold out on payment.

I had a collection agency call for a bill I owe. I asked if they will do a PFD and he said no, so I in turn told him that I can not pay at this time and was not able to make payment arrangements. Should I hold out until they say yes?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Hold out on payment.

@cjane1 wrote:
I had a collection agency call for a bill I owe. I asked if they will do a PFD and he said no, so I in turn told him that I can not pay at this time and was not able to make payment arrangements. Should I hold out until they say yes?

Get everything in writing and request a debt validation letter.  Also, do not pay anything over the phone using your checking account.  

Message 2 of 4
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

+1

Send out a DV CMRRR. Hope you havent agreed to a whole lot on the phone.If the balance is accurate, then send out a PFD. Else, you would have some work to do. Dont speak to them on the phone again and never pay them with anything but a certified check or a MO. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never make a PFD offer by phone...send all correspondence in writing, CMRRR.

Use the DV and then PFD.  If they don't accept, send it again next month and continue until something gives. 

The only risk is if the debt is large enough that the CA potentially sues you in the mean time. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.