Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holy Freakout! (Midland)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Holy Freakout! (Midland)

So a couple weeks ago I get a call on my cell for my partner, and it's good old MCM. I'm like "Uh ho, these guys are scumbags this will be bad". 

She refuses to give them personal info and demands they send everything in writing. 

We get the letter today and it's an 8000 dollar bill. 

We both had tiny heart attacks. 

Then we look at it, it's for a citi account. She goes "Well, I've never had citi in my life". I'm thinking a citi backed store card or something she forgot about. 

She calls citi, turns out it's a different person with the exact same name who lives across the country. 

The sighs of relief could be heard throughout Ohio! 

The woman apologized profusely and said she would be contacting MCM immediately, because the SSNs don't even match and she doesn't understand why they called her at all. 

She also gave us her direct contact information in case there are any future problems. 

Thank goodness for near misses! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Holy Freakout! (Midland)

I would recommend that you make a note for your files as record of that phone conversation.

Now that the debt collector is being notified that you are not the consumer who owes the debt, it is illegal under FCRA 605(b) for them to call you regarding the asserted debt for any reason other than to ask if you know the current location of the named person, and even then, they cannot disclose that the person is even alleged to owe a debt.

If they call again, advise them that you are a third party, and any discussion of an alleged debt is in violation of FDCPA 805(b).

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Holy Freakout! (Midland)

Just WOW. When I thought Midland couldn't be any worse. Glad it worked in your favor.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.