Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home improvement financing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home improvement financing

Any advice on how to finance a new roof with poor credit?  Our roof is leaking and I don't have the cash to replace it.  FICO 595

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Home improvement financing

Home Depot and Lowes both offer "project financing" for major projects - their credit underwiting is not too difficult, however sub-600 scores might be an issue -talk to them in a store and see how it goes since they'll know you are standing there offering a profit based sale. I give you a 50/50 shot with your score, you might get lucky.

Note that I used a Lowes "project finance" at just under $10k for a roof at 84 months 4.99% a few years ago - paid it off in 36 months and I think the APR is higher now.

Edit/Add: You might be able to get away with a patched or repaired roof as a short term fix, years ago I had water running down my brick chimney inside, turned out just to be the flashing - couple hundred bucks - our roof was 26 years old before it had to be redone.. 

Message 2 of 7
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

The current 84 month project financing is 7.99
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

How much equity do you have in your home?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Any advice on how to finance a new roof with poor credit?  Our roof is leaking and I don't have the cash to replace it.  FICO 595

When I got approved for Lowes, my EX score was around 660.  I started off at $500, but within six months, it was up to $10,000.  It currently sits at $15000 now which is okay since I don't have any major projects needing to be done.  The higher the FICO score, the higher the SL and you can always request a higher limit by calling Credit Solutions. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least 50,000, nearer to 75,000 based on the most recent sales on our street.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then I would advise looking into a home equity line of credit (HELOC), which is secured by the equity in your house.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.