Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda Charge Off - How Screwed Am I

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honda Charge Off - How Screwed Am I

I had leased a vehicle with Honda Financial several years ago and have since then traded it in with another dealer and wiped my hands of the lease. What came to bite me in the butt was that, apparently, in some states you are still obligated to pay for taxes or some such. The address Honda had on record for sending correspondence was my parents, and I do not live there anymore. Long story short, this happened due to oversight and I'm trying to fix this ASAP.

This was reported as a charge off very recently, and I only became aware of it yesterday. The balance is not very high, and once Honda Finance is open tomorrow, I am calling to at the very least pay it off. How likely is it that the Honda rep over the phone will be willing to delete the charge off? Does Honda have a decent reputation for stuff like this?

If its not deleted over the phone, I'm going to go full offense mode and send tons of letters, I guess.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Honda Charge Off - How Screwed Am I

@Anonymous wrote:

I had leased a vehicle with Honda Financial several years ago and have since then traded it in with another dealer and wiped my hands of the lease. What came to bite me in the butt was that, apparently, in some states you are still obligated to pay for taxes or some such. The address Honda had on record for sending correspondence was my parents, and I do not live there anymore. Long story short, this happened due to oversight and I'm trying to fix this ASAP.

This was reported as a charge off very recently, and I only became aware of it yesterday. The balance is not very high, and once Honda Finance is open tomorrow, I am calling to at the very least pay it off. How likely is it that the Honda rep over the phone will be willing to delete the charge off? Does Honda have a decent reputation for stuff like this?

If its not deleted over the phone, I'm going to go full offense mode and send tons of letters, I guess.

I would ask if they would accept a PFD ( Paid in full Delete) Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, should I ask them if they would accept a PFD, or should I make it clear to them that I intend to pay it in full, and then simply ask for them to delete it?

One sounds like I'm negotiating, and the other is asking for a favor.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Negotiating. Asking if they will take full balance and delete the trade line. If they do not accept PFD. Go for goodwill letters after paying off the balance. Paying in full or settling would be your choice. Settling may be frowned upon during under Manuel review. I say get it taken care of so they stop reporting monthly and possibly sell the doubt. That would result a collection company reporting on your reports for the same debt. Double trouble.
Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I agree with that. You want to try and pay for deletion. But obviously kf that does not work, the GW letters come in to play. Smart move on your end, intending to pay it, regardless. That eliminates the debt and if it doesn't come off the reports, at least it shows you met the obligation, if a future lender should look at the report.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everybody.

I think I got incredibly, stupidly lucky on this one. I realized that Honda was charging me for Virginia's property tax. However, I am military and my home of record is Texas, therefore I am exempted from the local vehicle property tax.

Holy crap.

Sure, I feel bad that I let it get this far in the first place without realizing it, but at least I should never have been charged in the first place. I can't wait to call tomorrow and get them to delete it! This might have been a weird blessing in disguise because now I'm obsessed with perfecting my credit score.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.