Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hoodwinked by IC System PFD?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hoodwinked by IC System PFD?

Hey Guys!

I've been rebuilding the past few years and all of the baddies have fallen off of my reports, with the exception of IC System. I called them and offered a PFD. I was told that once the payment is made, they'll send a letter to the CRAs and have it removed. This fell in line with what I read on the forums here with others in the same situation. I finally got the email from IC with the letter that it has been paid. The verbiage is a little funky though. I posted a screenshot of it here. I'm thinking that I may have been hoodwinked. What say you? Thanks!Letter received from ICLetter received from IC

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hoodwinked by IC System PFD?

MIGHT be a standard boilerplate letter and they still may delete.

Only way to know is to watch reports and give them 60 days or so.

I always, always, always get pay-for-delete offers in writing by USPS mail.  Lying about financial results is mail fraud in my opinion.  Lying over the phone is more difficult to prove.

Good luck, report back!

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

CACH also did this to me.  They told me over phone that they would PFD but wouldnt send me anything via mail or fax.  Week later I got a letter saying account is now Paid in full for full balance ( i paid them a lot less than what i owed ) and it would be reported soon.  1 week later I got another letter saying that both of my CACH accounts have been deleted.  

Normally i wouldnt take collectors at their word but they offered me such a good settlement even if they didnt PFD, i still would have paid them.  In short, i paid them about 40% what i owed and they still PFD.  Every now and then we ( the consumers ) get lucky

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

To make a wide reaching generalization, I've had way better luck with CAs deleting with or without promises than JDBs deleting ever.  This is why I don't negotiate with JDBs by phone at all.  Some CAs were a pleasure to deal with over the phone, were happy to put promises in writing, and followed through extra quickly.  But JDBs in general seem to just be vultures -- I can't name one JDB that was ever a pleasure to deal with.

I still get calls from a JDB over a debt that I will immediately sue over if it gets reported.  I've told them as such and even warned them to not make me angry (they haven't reported, yet).  I haven't C&D'd their calls because it's always fun to put them on hold with Rick Astley tunes every 60 seconds or so, but at some point I'll have to tell them to shove their 2 cents on the dollar debt somewhere unpleasant.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

They were my final baddie. I called and before I even tried to negotiate PFD she said once it’s paid we will submit for removal after 30 days.
Two weeks later... pooof gone!
Message 5 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The letter states that they will report an update of the balance to show $0 (which is per se a requriment of law, and not a concession on their part).

It does not state that they will delete the reported collection in its entirety.

If they had previously stated that they would delete upon receipt of payment, that would be a contract term that would be enforceable when you completed the contract agreement by paying the debt.

If that agreement was only oral, it is still a binding contract term, albiet a bit more difficult to prove if you pursue a breach of oral contract civil action.

Are you certain they stated that they would report deletion of their collection, or only that they stated, as set forth in the letter, that they would update the balance to show paid, $0 balance?

Your recourse is to file a breach of contract suit, and obtain a finding by the court as to whether you had a valid oral contract provision.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, IC System is my last baddie, and I am not even messing with them with only 18 months to go til it drops off.

They have a reputation for shady practices and reaging accounts illegally.  They have been sued so many times it isnt even funny, so I am just leaving that lion in its den.

Message 7 of 19
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

Let,s hope that they do the right thing and remove from report.  Along with the information from the forum that you did read, it looks like you forgot to read about getting a letter from the company with "Deleting/Removing from Bureaus".  At this point, all they may do is state that it is "Paid in Full" with a linguring date to follow the seven years before removal

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this matters, but your PDF lists your account number in plain view.  Might just wanna block that out... never can be too careful.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. When I reached out to them I asked for it in writing and was told that they don't do that, but that the phone call is recorded. I'm patiently waiting to get an alert that my report has chaged lol. I'll definitely report back what happens. Thanks!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.