Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hoping for advice and success stories

tag
mandab5
Valued Member

Hoping for advice and success stories

HI! I am hoping I might could get some tips and help from some others out there that have been rebuilding their credit.  I am currently on the path to improve my credit score to buy a home in a year or so.  My biggest ailment is a bankruptcy that is still reporting.  It was discharged in Jan 2011.  Of course it will not fall off my report until 2021.  I also have a few collections that were tied to the house (I got a divorce and my ex took the house.  SInce he was unable to re-finance, I filed bankruptcy at the advice of 2 lawyers, and of course he let the house go including the utilities, which were in my name, go to collections).  I have since paid these collections, and I have been sending out GW letters in hopes to have these collections completely removed (even though they show as paid).  I have had 2 secured cc since my bankruptcy and have never made one late payment.  I was approved for a cap one quicksilver limit of 3600 in dec, and I was recently approved for Barclay rewards (1500) and discover it (1600).  I also have one auto loan which was opened back in the fall.  my 2 secured cards are sitting at a zero balance.  I owe 1000 on my capital one, and zero balance on the other two.  I plan on gardening for at least a year on the current cards I have.  My ultimate goal is either a chase southwest card (I travel southwest for work) or an american express (heard they make your scores soar) but I do know these banks are not BK friendly.  

I would greatly appreciate any advice one might have in regards to using these 3 unsecured cards that would positively impact my score the most.  I do realize my score will not budge much with the BK and collections, but they are a work in progress.  If anyone has any other advice, please share.  I also enjoy reading through these forums stories of those who were in situations similar to mine, and were able to rise to great scores once again.  

My current scores are as follows:

equifax-641

experian-645

transunion-649

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Carreras

Re: Hoping for advice and success stories

You should try requesting Credit limit increases on your existing cards. I recently got a Quicksilver Carrd at capital one, and was granted a CLI after just  months. Soft pull, I requested. These are worth a shot, since an increase in your avaiable credit is always a good thing. I work at a credit union, and you will be suprised at what a Secured Loan will do to your score, A  3 Month CD Secured Signature loan for $1000.00. Best of Luck!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying the Cap One down to below 10% will give you some immediate score increase - but don't pay it all off. You want to let one card show a small balance. Best way to use the Cap One card is put your everyday normal monthly spending on it, then pay it off a few days later. That will get you good CLI's when eligible.

Message 3 of 9
mandab5
Valued Member

Thank you Norman!  I will get that paid down to below 10% and use it as you advised. 

Message 4 of 9
mandab5
Valued Member

I actually opened a savings account yesterday at Navy Federal Credit Union.  I plan on getting a secured loan.  I just dont know when I should do it.  I don't want to do to much all at once.  I have the 2 unsecured cards I just got.  Maybe I should wait 6 months before doing the secured loan?  Or would it hurt me to go ahead and do the secured loan?

Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@mandab5 wrote:

I actually opened a savings account yesterday at Navy Federal Credit Union.  I plan on getting a secured loan.  I just dont know when I should do it.  I don't want to do to much all at once.  I have the 2 unsecured cards I just got.  Maybe I should wait 6 months before doing the secured loan?  Or would it hurt me to go ahead and do the secured loan?

If you are looking for a FIco boost down the road from installment loan(s) the sooner the better to get them started

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you already have an auto loan, that takes care of your credit mix part of your score, and a secured loan isn't going to help you. I would just apply for a CC through NFCU after letting your current cards report good for a few months.

Do you know what your scores are currently?

Message 7 of 9
surferchris
Valued Contributor

You probably already qualify for FHA, thus assuming the loan amount is within their limits, you are probably okay.  You have enough tradelines and the foreclosure/bk have aged (for FHA).  You might want to speak with a lender to get some further guidance on what your scores need to be for the best rates.  And congrats on your progress.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 8 of 9
mandab5
Valued Member

My current scores are as follows:

equifax-641

experian-645

transunion-649

I think bottom line is, it is just going to take some time with the BK.  I feel like it needs to age more.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.