cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopital bills from not at fault wreck question!

tag
toodles12
Valued Member

Hopital bills from not at fault wreck question!

Hey Gang,

I'm wondering if I can approach these from an angle to have them removed from my CR.

In 2005, I was hit head on by a drunk driver. None of my medical bills were paid for at least 6 months because of rehabilitation and my attorney seeking damages from DD's insurance.

I have a TON of collections due to this that are reporting paid.

Am I wrong to think that I shouldn't be liable for this blemish to my CR? It wasn't my fault that a drunk driver hit me and I was immobile for 6 months. I was unable to work and had no income to pay these hospital bills (which I wasn't liable for).

How should I approach these? Should I dispute with the CRA? Send GW to the CA (tried this and haven't heard anything). They all fall off this year and next, but I honestly don't want to wait that long.

HELP! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (1/18/2013)
Current Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (01/18/2013)
FICO 562 (02/04/2013)

Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Hopital bills from not at fault wreck question!

Did you end up paying for any of them or did insurance, yours or the other driver?

Is there anyway the attorney you had then could help with this?

I know it is typical for a hospital to say you are responsible if the insurance doesn't pay in a reasonable amount of time.

What about the other person's insurance.  Would they be willing to help?

Message 2 of 5
toodles12
Valued Member

The drunk driver's insurance paid for everything. My name was on all the bills but every time I received one I was told to give it over to my attorney. Once a settlement was reached, my attorney paid all the bills in full and then released whatever was left over to me.

My car that was totaled is reporting closed (good standing account) with no lates and his insurance paid off the loan. (It was brand new and I'd only had it 4 months) I know for a fact that the car loan sat unpaid for several months but maybe they took pity on me?

I'll try calling the attorney Monday. Hopefully they might be able to help or send me something that I can send to the CRAs?

Starting Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (1/18/2013)
Current Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (01/18/2013)
FICO 562 (02/04/2013)

Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
jmoney3457
New Contributor

Maybe have your atty draft a letter explaining what happened and send to the CRAs requesting removal of any collections, late reports etc resulting from the accident.

Message 4 of 5
starry1
Valued Contributor

Its really horrible that your credit can be dinged for something you didn't even do. The credit reporting act needs more work.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.