Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosed by AT&T, need advice, DV???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hosed by AT&T, need advice, DV???

Back in the fall of 2007 I began experiencing trouble with my DSL (Internet) service . In short, the service was interrupted daily to the point it was rendered unusable. I ended up calling customer support several times and they eventually sent out a technician to attempt and rectify the problem. The technician indicated that problem was most likely due to network upgrades and may clear itself.

Unfortunately the trouble continued and I was forced to purchase an alternate internet connection. I attempted to wait out the “network upgrades”, however I eventually cancelled service. During the phone call I made to cancel I explained to the customer service representative what had happened and told her that I shouldn’t have to pay for balance on the account as the service didn’t work. She responded by stating she would make note on the account and that all should be fine.

I thought the matter had been resolved, however much to my surprise I received a call from a collection agency (West Asset Management) several months later. During my correspondence with West Asset management I agreed to pay $100 with the agreement that the account would not reflect negatively on my credit report. Once again, I thought the matter was resolved until I pulled my credit report in January of 2009 and found the collection account listed with an $8 balance. I immediately called AT&T and paid the $8 outstanding balance. 

The account is currently listed on all 3 reports as a paid collection. I called West Asset management this week and told them that they did not live up to their end of the bargain as the account is listed on my credit report. The representative told me that the problem occurred when I paid the $100, as the bill was actually for $108.60. This caused them to put the account in their system as “settled in full” rather than “paid in full” and thus the account was reported. I obviously would have paid the extra $8 had I known it was due at the time. The representative ended up giving me a fax number and instructed me to fax a request to remove the account from my report. 

Now, the problem I currently have is West Asset management can’t confirm that the fax got there. When I call they say it goes to another office and won’t give me the number. Every time I call they say, “call back in a couple” days. Needless to say I’m not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling. I’ve called AT&T and they keep referring me back to West Asset. My question is, what’s my next step? Should I attempt to DV with the CRA’s?

Message Edited by mgobluester on 04-23-2009 09:13 AM
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hosed by AT&T, need advice, DV???

Send the letter CMRRR through the mail instead of the fax.

If they won't remove, file a complaint with the BBB.

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't DV the CRAs.  You can dispute with the CRAs and let them investigate.  This is actually how I have had most of my luck.  I dispute with the CRAs and they investigate and delete the erroneous collections.

I had West Asset on my credit reports for a medical collection from 2004 that I paid.  I disputed with them several times, and it would come off one report, but not the others.  Finally, they all came off.

I think you should try disputing through the CRAs.  Dispute the balance owed, any dates that may be wrong, etc.  Hopefully that will get them to not respond and they will delete.  I had one CA that wouldn't request a delete from the CRAs, but instead told me to dispute through the CRA and they would just not respond.  I did, and they kept true to their word.  

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send the letter CMRRR through the mail instead of the fax.

If they won't remove, file a complaint with the BBB.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!!! I sent the letter CMRRR yesterday afternoon informing West Asset Managment that they had failed to live up to their end of the deal.

This letter is being sent to you in response to the following collection account you reported to the credit reporting agencies, WEST ASSET MGMT, #xxxxxxxx. Per my original agreement with your collection agency, I paid $100 with the verbal agreement that the account would not be reported to the credit bureaus. Unfortunately you did not fulfill your end of the agreement and the account has appeared on my credit reports. In accordance to our original agreement I am requesting the removal of the aforementioned account from all three credit bureaus along with a written confirmation that this action has taken place.

This should be a lessen to NEVER pay for delete over the phone. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

West Asset Management received my letter and denied my request. The supervisor over there stated he couldn’t validate what I was claiming because it happened a year ago and employee that made the promised is no longer with the company. Go figure! I filed a complaint with BBB on both AT&T and West Asset. Does a collection agency actually care if a complaint is filed against them? Especially one that uses false promises to collect?
Message 5 of 7
enerey
Regular Contributor

You could try disputing with the CRA's, my friend had a utility bill that went to collections, he paid the utility company directly after. It took about 7 months and 4 different disputes with the CRAs and it was finally removed from all 3 about 2 weeks ago.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Believe it or not, I think I actually got somewhere. I filed the complaints with the BBB on Wednesday and my score jumped 25 points today. I checked EX and EQ and its removed from both reports. According to the BBB website they’re still waiting to hear from the businesses so I can’t be sure what triggered the removal. Anyways, thanks for the advice everyone!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.