cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospital Bill in collections. should I pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hospital Bill in collections. should I pay?

I have an unpaid hospital bill from 2012. Total amount owed I'd 1500.00. Didn't receive any bill saying I owed the money. Do I pay in full? Do I make a deal? Is a paid collection better than open collection? They said they would take 400 and mark it paid.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hospital Bill in collections. should I pay?

If you can pay it, and it is indeed your medical bill, take the deal. Its not often they open with a 30% settlement offer. I would however, ask them to delete any reporting given the fact that you were never billed for this.

Message 2 of 5
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Before you do anything...IF you had ins at the time, call the ins carrier and make sure that they filed with your ins carrier.  If the medical provider DID NOT or file this claim with your insurance-or filed past timely filing and was denied- they CANNOT collect from you.

If that doesn't apply to you for what ever reason, maybe you didn't have ins at the time or they did file and this was your portion, follow the suggested methods to clear it up.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a 28,000 bill for 1 night in the hospital. Lol. I just figured my ins. covered it.
Message 4 of 5
Shellie
Valued Contributor

You made sure that this claim was actually filed?  Claims can be missed from time to time even with in the same date of service.  Typically there isn't only one provider billing for service. For example...if you had xrays there will be charges for the xray and also for a radiologist just to read that xray.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.