Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospital bill in Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hospital bill in Collection

Received a alert today that I had a collection for $180 go onto my report. Its a local collection agency here that works with the local hospitals. I never even knew I had a remaining balance from a past visit. I immediately called the hospitals billing # and tried to clear it up but was told I had to take it up with the collection agency since its reported with them now. Is that true? Can I not pay the hospital directly still? If I do however have to pay it with the collection company whats the odds of having them delete it once its paid, I really dont want that negative on my report especially over such a small amount! Should I call and ask if they will do a pay for delete or how should I go about it? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hospital bill in Collection

I have one that I have to pay thru the CA, but the hospital said if I pay the CA, they'll tell them to delete it.... hard to give odds, too many variables , if it were me I'd argue that I never got a bill for the remainder and argue with a supervisor that thry have to let me pay it and pull back from the CA

What CA is yours with
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im going to call the hospital back and ask to speak to a supervisor. I only spoke with a CSR I guess you'd call it. There has to be a way I can pay them directly. There is nothing on my report from the hospital. Only the CA that just popped up today. Mine is with Souther Collection or something like that. 

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the credtior still owns the debt, then they can legally still accept payment.

However, many assignments of collection authority to a debt collector include specific language requiring that all payments be made through the debt collector.

If that is the case, then their contract with their debt collector prevents them from accepting payment.

I concur with speaking to a supervisor, as the first line CSR reps usually dont have such knowledge, and cant grant an exception if it is possible......

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Im going to give them a call again and speak to a supervisor and see if there is anyway possible to pay them directly. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most medical providers will still take your money. They simply hand it over to the CA accounts receivable immediately.

I had an outstanding balance circa 2008/2009 that was in a CA. In 2012, I had a small (~$2) overpayment to the provider. The provider sent the additional funds to the CA as a payment on the past due account. The CA refused a PFD and stated the overpayment constituted a reupping of the statute of limitations, which had already expired. I was finally able to get in touch with the executive office of the provider and explain the situation. Although they no longer have collection authority, they do have the privilege to intervene if they see fit as it was an "assigned" collection rather than "sold". It's also just good business practice - both the provider and CA have a vested interest in fairly and collaboratively dealing with consumer issues. The executive from the provider was able to negotiate a PFD settlement with the CA and took payment from me over the phone. They got their money, I got it off my report, everyone walked away happy.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

SUCCESS!! I was able to pay the hospital directly for the full amount. I find it funny how one CSR says no you can't pay us directly and then the next phone call to another CSR says yes you can. I didn't mention anything to the hospital CSR about having the CA remove their mark yet as I wanted to finalize the actual payment with them first so it was a done deal. I did have them email me a reciept for the payment etc so I have it on hand. Now should I wait and see if it gets removed or should I contact the CA next week and ask them to remove their line on my report? If the CA actually owned the debt would I of been able to pay the hospital directly like I did?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

SUCCESS!! I was able to pay the hospital directly for the full amount. I find it funny how one CSR says no you can't pay us directly and then the next phone call to another CSR says yes you can. I didn't mention anything to the hospital CSR about having the CA remove their mark yet as I wanted to finalize the actual payment with them first so it was a done deal. I did have them email me a reciept for the payment etc so I have it on hand. Now should I wait and see if it gets removed or should I contact the CA next week and ask them to remove their line on my report? If the CA actually owned the debt would I of been able to pay the hospital directly like I did? if the CA bought the collection no, if the CA is simply assigned to colect the debt yes. 

hello i just pulled my credit to purchase a house i was unaware of an outstanding balance with the hospital, i would like to resolve the balance in full for the removal from my credit report, i have only had 1 OC tell me no i had to go to CA, then i simply paid the CA, and emailed the execs of ATT and they told me it would be deleted..

always ask for deletion you will be in no wore of a situation if they say no, but if they say yes, you're far better after paying insist on a email receipt and a paper receipt mailed to you 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talked to the CA, they were assigned the debt. They report deletions every 1st of the month and will have it deleted for me beginning of Dec. Thanks for all the help 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.