Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospital bill insurance paid late

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hospital bill insurance paid late

So, I had a hospital bill years ago that the insurance was supposed to pay. They never did. About 6 months ago I found out and went back and forth for months with them. Eventually, they paid the initial bill of something close to $600(there was a $200 fee that I was responsible for). Now, here is my issue, since the bill is so old, it has accrued interest. each month the bill has gone up about 15-30 dollars, but all of a sudden when the insurance paid the bill it was at about $800 and the insurance paid about $600 leaving me with the $200 copay. My issue is, after the insurance paid their portion, somehow the bill is still over $400. its like since the insurance paid its part, the collection agenc tacked on many more fees or something. As I said, it was constantly going up a normal rate until the insurance paid its portion, then all of a sudden the next month it jumped over $200. What should I do in this scenario?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Hospital bill insurance paid late

The CRAs recently, as a result of a 2015 consent agreement with the office of the AGs of several states, implemented a "National Consumer Assistance Plan" which, in part, included their agreement and new policy to delete any collection reported on medical debt if the debt is paid by a medical insuror.

You could assert that the principal amount of the debt was paid by a medical insuror, and make a request to the CRA that they remove the collection under their National Consumer Assistance Plan.  Their policy statement does not explicitly state if paid by insuror means the principal debt only, or includes the entire asserted debt.

I would assume that deletion would only apply to payment of the entire debt, but it would not hurt to make the request.

Payment of the principal balance by the insuror could arguably mean that the asserted additional charges were not proper, and should not apply.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a plan that may actually work. Any examples of the type of letters that I should send out to the CRAs?

Also, I don't mind paying my actual deductible(the $200), but I really don't want to pay 100% markup on my deductible just because my insurance company decided to wait over a year and for me to constantly hound them before they decided to cover the **bleep** bill

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Just state that you have a medical collection paid via insurance, along with documentation, and request removal from your credit report under the provisions of their National Consumer Assistance Plan.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Just state that you have a medical collection paid via insurance, along with documentation, and request removal from your credit report under the provisions of their National Consumer Assistance Plan.

Would this work given the fact that the entire bill was not paid as the copay is now due? Also, I noticed why it is $400 instead of the $200 it should be, it seems and I could be wrong, but it seems as though this is two co-pays that they have lumped together as one bill from one visit when in fact these were two copays from two seperate visits.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.