cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Get A Tax Lien Removed From My Credit Report(s)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Do I Get A Tax Lien Removed From My Credit Report(s)?

Hi, I am a 24 year old working to pay off my student loans and rebuilding my credit. My score was increasing every month when all of a sudden it dropped by 50-60 pts which prompted me to pull my credit reports. The state of Georgia mistakently filed a lien against me when it was just supposed to be my dad. My dad went and talked to the Department of Revenue and they agreed it was a mistake and gave me a letter with my name and social security number saying I was not listed as a responsible party on my dad's business.

My question now is what do I do with it? Mail it to the three credit beureaus? Can I do all of this online? I want to get these things off of my credit report as I will be applying to new jobs soon and my field is ironically finance and insurance and more and more companies are checking credit reports before hiring employees.

How long is this process typically? It's just a state tax lien against a business if that makes a difference

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ando35
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Do I Get A Tax Lien Removed From My Credit Report(s)?

For my paid ny state lien, I mailed the dept of rebvenue and asked them to delete it. They said they cannot, but they sent me a letter saying it was "satisfied". Transunion dleted the lien without me even sending them the letter from NY . Equifax did not delete.  I'm not even sure they are supposed to delete it, but TU did. My score only went up 2 points but yours could go up 20. It's an enigma.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had SEVERAL of these taken from my husband report... If your letter states is was a mistake then all you need to do is send a copy of it to the credit bureaus... They say it could take up to 30 days but, it really does not take that long... If you do it online then you do not get to give them the documentation... So then you have to wait for them to contact the state to verify... Go ahead and mail the copy... I didn't even send my certified. I just mailed it. When they take it off they will normally even mail you a new copy of your credit report..

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have a similar issue with state of ga, they refuse to remove the lein on my report. can you please tell me in detail how to get this taken off.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

All you need to do at this point is send a dispute to the three CRAs, in writing, CMRRR, and include a copy of the letter provign the lein is not yours.  They will remove it. 
Absolutely send these letters today and send them CMRRR, since time is of the essence.   After doing that, there's nothign to stop you from sending via email or online dispute forms, the very same information..... the letters start a 30 day clock but the investigation from an online filing can take up to 45 days, so its a risk doing it online.   You're betting they will just remove it to be done with it rather than drag it out the full 45 days (in which case the letter is actually faster.) 
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed a dispute online about a week ago and the lien was deleted from my recoded by Transunion but experien and Equifax said that the record is being reported correctly? Any idea why the discrepancies? I have the physical letter with the letter head from the Georgia Irs which states that's I am not the responsible party should I call them and yet to mail it to them?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found that Equifax is the biggest P.I.T.A... Mail a copy of your letter in... Or better yet look at your report again and see if they have already changed the status of it... I found that they send you one thing about your dispute but, until you actually look at it what they tell you is reporting and what is actually reporting are 2 totally different things... If it still shows open after you look at it... Send a COPY of the letter into them...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.