Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Respond?

tag
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

How Do I Respond?

A CA called me today and left a message for me to call them. I can't imagine what this might be a collection for. They did not leave the name of the company only that it is an attempt to collect a debt. Do I call them back? If so, what do I say? I think I have a handle on the collections that are on my report so, I'm guessing this is a new attempt at an old debt that may or may not be on my CR. Any help would be appreciated. As near as I can guess based on the area code, the CA is out of Lumberton, NC. Thank you.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How Do I Respond?

My advice is to call, but for only two limited and helpful purposes.

One, to determine their identity, and two, to establishe a clear "initial communication" with the consumer, triggering their requirement to then send dunnning notice within 5 days.

I would not discuss the substance of the debt, simply request their name and address.  If they provide it, you can then send immediate DV, thus putting a cease collection bar into force until they provide verification.  If they dont comply, they will have to do so within 5 days by way of dunnning notice.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.