Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Fast Does a Credit Score Increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Fast Does a Credit Score Increase?

I've had a combination of bad credit history and now a strong lack of credit history due to being out of the credit game for so long. I'm currently in the process of paying some things off and getting a few secured cards to build my credit up. I'm going to start paying about $100-$200 on three different cards (so a total of $500-$600 all together) starting the first of the year.

Right now my credit score is the low 600s. I have a home loan that is waiting for me to bump my credit score up so they can take a second look at me. If I started this credit repair now and paid on these monthly, how fast can I expect to see a bump in my credit score? Three months? Six months? A year?  I just want to be realistic with my goals moving forward.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Fast Does a Credit Score Increase?

You'll definitely see quick jumps if you can get rid of your negative marks and collections. I had one collection alone gimme a 65 point difference
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had a combination of bad credit history and now a strong lack of credit history due to being out of the credit game for so long. I'm currently in the process of paying some things off and getting a few secured cards to build my credit up. I'm going to start paying about $100-$200 on three different cards (so a total of $500-$600 all together) starting the first of the year.

Right now my credit score is the low 600s. I have a home loan that is waiting for me to bump my credit score up so they can take a second look at me. If I started this credit repair now and paid on these monthly, how fast can I expect to see a bump in my credit score? Three months? Six months? A year?  I just want to be realistic with my goals moving forward.

Thanks!

As with all things - it depends.

Get three cards reporting.   Keep 2 paid to $0 (pay before statement cuts) and get ONE to report at 10% or less - this will get you the max score increase on cc's

If you have any installment loans (auto/student/etc) keep making payments.   If you don't  - look into a credit union shared secured loan.  This will help with credit Mix.

Get any baddies off your report - you dn't mention if you have any collections - if you do - contact companies and offer pay for deletes, or goodwill campaigns to get paid ones removed from your reports.

Here's my story - in a nutshell - I've been seriously working on mine since August.   Scores in July were 614 - 651 - 572   Now (pulled today)  693 - 708 - 706.  So in 4 months I've jumped considerably - Heck almost 100 points on TU and over 100 on EX.   I still have lates reporting from an old car loan and a tax lien - so my report isn't clean.   

I went from NO credit cards to having over $6700 in cards that I have access to you - which to me is HUGE - and they are all current and paid in full each month. 

You can do it too - you just have to work hard at it - and not expect it to happen overnight.     

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

With low 600 scores you may be able to get unsecured cards from Cap One. App for an unsecured Platinum card first (the one with no annual fee), and if you get approved, immediately app for the QS1 card as well. If denied, app for their secured card. Then look for a second secured card to app for (I would suggest Open Sky or SDFCU).

If you currently have no revolving accounts at all, you should get a signifigant score boost immediately from the first two cards reporting. After that its impossible to say how fast your scores will rise, it just depends on your overall profile.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.