Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How LONG do LATES affect my score??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How LONG do LATES affect my score??

Hey all, I am getting so many conflicted opinions on this one.  So, I have MANY lates on student loans over the years -- the most recent being November 2014 (only 3), and before that February 2014 (3 as well).  Prior to that there were no lates since 2012.  How long do these lates hurt my score??  Some analysts and advisors state after 2 years the lates n olonger hurt scoring, but stay on report for 7 years.  Others say they will affect the FICO for 5 years, others say the full 7.  

Is there any real answer to this?  My scores a year ago were under 500, now they are TU 570 EX 600 EQ 585.  I have 4 credit cards about 9 months old, excellent standing, and trying to get UTIL under 35% to maxmimize FICO (currently at 55%).  any advice here?  I am GW the student loan lender to see what we can do here.  I just want to know how long these impact my score.  Thank you !!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How LONG do LATES affect my score??

Are these 30 days?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes -- all 30 days only

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Typically 2 yrs for 30 day lates. They are minor derogs

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what I thought ... I have GWed them just to see if it will change.  Thank you !

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it 60 and above that sting for the full 7?

Oz

Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it 60 and above that sting for the full 7?

Oz

60s can sting the full time on file depending on overall profile so its YMMV, 90 day plus ya the full time on file no question about it.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.