cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Should I Approach This?

tag

How Should I Approach This?

I have an outstanding debt ($480) from a close checking account with a credit union. The date of first delinquency was sometime in 2013. It was eventually sold to a debt collector/law firm around Jan/Feb 2014. I sent a letter a few months to inquire about settling the debt for $150 (long shot) to have it considered PIF. The woman handling my account (Ms. L) sent the letter back to me, scratched out my terms, and wrote that I could not "settle", the debt isn't going anywhere, and asked me to contact her.

Fast forward to today. I contacted her via telephone and told her that I was hoping to settle. She told me that because it is a credit union account and because it is not accruing interest, I have to PIF. She seemed to be really nasty with me so I asked to speak with a supervisor. She refused. I hung up and asked the receptionist for her supervisor. After a brief hold, Ms. L answered the phone. I hung up again and called back. This time, I stressed to the receptionist that I needed to speak with Ms. L's supervisor. Ms. L, answer the phone and said "Ms. G., you know we have caller ID". I told her I didn't care and asked to speak with her supervisor. She again refuses and told me she was the supervisor. I said "surely there is someone over top of you that I can speak with". She began to tell me that if I had paid my debt in the first place, blah blah blah....

I once again called the receptionist, asked to be transferred to Ms. L's supervisor. Ms. L got on the phone again, told me she contacted the credit union and was told my account was charged off due to fraud and they won't take less than the full payment. I asked to speak with the supervisor and she responded: "nope!"

Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I hung up, called again, asked for the name of Ms. L's supervisor and was given a name. I was then put on hold by the receptionist for about 10 minutes, and was told the supervisor was on a call and that she would forward my information to him and have him call me back.

I say all that to say, I'm not disputing the debt is owed. However, being as the account is several years old, paying the whole thing (when it's charged off) seems to be grounds for settlement (?). How do I approach this because I don't want to deal with Ms. L, but want to resolve this debt.

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How Should I Approach This?

Well if its still inside SOL settle it in full before they sue you for the debt. With CUs if you ever want to do business with them again you will have to settle it in full if not you can offer settlements and I would only do so past SOL and it would be up to them to settle or not you cannot force them. I would try a PFD offer in writing sent to the office of the CEO/President of the CU.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The post says it was sold to a debt collector.

If that is the case, the credit union is done with any issues of payment of the debt.....

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

The post says it was sold to a debt collector.

If that is the case, the credit union is done with any issues of payment of the debt.....

You are right, if its sold there is no dealing with the CU.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.