cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Stop Medical Collections From Reporting As Open?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How To Stop Medical Collections From Reporting As Open?

I've taken care of many of my medical collections since joining myfico. At one point I had nearly 25 medical collections (from a year long illness and no health insurance). I'm down to just 1 on TU, 2 on EX, but I still have 9 on EQ (my arch-nemesis). WIth that said, almost ALL of my medical collections update monthly and report as "Open". All of the ones on EQ are still reporting as Open. I've read in several places that this is not right, as medical debt collectors are not lenders. I have disputed on all 3 agencies about the accounts reporting as open, and all they ever do is come back verified, except for the 1 collection on TU which they changed to closed as requested.

How do I make the monthly reporting as an "Open" account stop?

Here is an example:

LOUISIANA RECOVERY SERVICES
Placed for collection:
02/24/2015
Responsibility: Individual Account
Account Type: Open Account
Loan Type: COLLECTION AGENCY/ATTORNEY

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How To Stop Medical Collections From Reporting As Open?

A collection is a separate reporting by a debt collector.

Its open date is unrelated to the open date of the OC account.

Any collection can report its Open date as the date the debt collector obtainded their collection authority, either by way of assignment from the owner or by way of their purchase of the debt. 

A collection remains Open until the collection authority is terminated, either by way of discharge of the debt, by termination by the owner of any assigned collection authority, or by sale of the debt to another.  Until one of those events occurs, the collection remains Open, and can accurately be reported as such in any updated reporting.

The issue that you might challenge is their typification of a "Loan Type."

You dont have a "loan" with the debt collector.  You have an Open collection.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How To Stop Medical Collections From Reporting As Open?

I just dealt with those people they are a pain in the a.. so be ready to pay in full and pay and extra $11 to have it deleted they will not budge I tried everything.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.