cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How am I going to pay all of this off...

tag
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

How am I going to pay all of this off...

I really want to just pay off all of my credit cards but I don't know what the best option is? Try and get a loan to consolidate everything at a lower interest rate and make one payment a month? From everyone's experience what works the best? I am aroun d$6,500 in debt. 

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: How am I going to pay all of this off...

How much per month can you use to pay down debit?

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 3
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Re: How am I going to pay all of this off...

Most people who get debt consolidation loans end up charging their cards back up because they have not changed their behavior.  Not saying this is you - just that is what the studies show.  With that said there are two different schools of thought:

1.  List all your debts, pay the minimum on all except the one with the highest interest rate.  Throw all your extra money at that one and when it is paid off roll that payment into the next highest APR card.  This is what the "smart" money folks say to do.

2.  List all your debts from smallest balance to highest.  Pay minimums on all but the lowest balance and throw all your money at that one.  Once the lowest balance is paid off move to the next card.  This is the approach I like.  Why?  Because it gives you quick victories and builds confidence.

Good luck - you will have this paid off before you know it!

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.