cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I compel or formally request for all information about CO account?

tag
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

How can I compel or formally request for all information about CO account?

I have been battling GECRB about a TL that is reporting totally wrong and they refuse to correct it. How can I get records from them about my account? Opened date, when payments were due/made etc? Besides just asking for it and hoping they send it, am I entitled to it under some type of freedom of information act?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How can I compel or formally request for all information about CO account?

FOIA applies to public access to governmental information.

I presume that their refusal to correct was in response to a formal dispute under the FCRA, and not just a call to them?

If you have not filed a formal FCRA dispute of its accuracy, that will at least compel them to provide you a statement that they have conducted a reasonable investigation, and have sufficient basis to find the reporting accuate.  However, that wont compel them to provide their supporting documentation, but will at least put them on record as formally stating they have conducted a reasonable investigation that supports their verification of accuracy.

It is good business for creditors to assist their customers in providing prior account information, but since you receive regular billing from them, they have, in most cases, already provided the information and thus are generally not required to provide again.  Perhaps your state consumer laws provide some requirement.  You might contact your state consumer protection agency and inquire as to options.

Since they normally have no requirement to provide such information, another approach may be to file a complaint with your local BBB of what you consider to be a poor business practice rather than an actual violation of statute.

If those approaches dont bear fruit, then last resort would be to initiate civil action for inaccurate credit reporting, which as part of any pre-trial discovery process can give you court ordered discovery of evidence you need to prove your case.

Message 2 of 3
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: How can I compel or formally request for all information about CO account?

@RobertEG wrote:

FOIA applies to public access to governmental information.

I presume that their refusal to correct was in response to a formal dispute under the FCRA, and not just a call to them?

If you have not filed a formal FCRA dispute of its accuracy, that will at least compel them to provide you a statement that they have conducted a reasonable investigation, and have sufficient basis to find the reporting accuate.  However, that wont compel them to provide their supporting documentation, but will at least put them on record as formally stating they have conducted a reasonable investigation that supports their verification of accuracy.

It is good business for creditors to assist their customers in providing prior account information, but since you receive regular billing from them, they have, in most cases, already provided the information and thus are generally not required to provide again.  Perhaps your state consumer laws provide some requirement.  You might contact your state consumer protection agency and inquire as to options.

Since they normally have no requirement to provide such information, another approach may be to file a complaint with your local BBB of what you consider to be a poor business practice rather than an actual violation of statute.

If those approaches dont bear fruit, then last resort would be to initiate civil action for inaccurate credit reporting, which as part of any pre-trial discovery process can give you court ordered discovery of evidence you need to prove your case.

Correct, dispite overwhelming evidence they refuse to correct many mistakes, and refuse to provide me any additional information needed to prove my case. Since it is a 5 year old charge off account I no longer have any billing statements.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.