cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I convince collection agency to put paid instead of settled?

tag
Thomased
New Visitor

How can I convince collection agency to put paid instead of settled?

I'm trying to get portfolio recovery to put paid or anything but paid/settled for less than full balance. Advice?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: How can I convince collection agency to put paid instead of settled?

@Thomased wrote:

I'm trying to get portfolio recovery to put paid or anything but paid/settled for less than full balance. Advice?

I assume you're trying to settle the account, but want it marked as paid in full?

You could try for a pay for delete, which is where they'll agree to delete the entire account if you pay them the settlement amount (or pay the entire owed balance) That would be more helpful than either paid collection / settled less than balance owed.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 6
Thomased
New Visitor

I agree but portfolio is not willing to do anything.

Message 3 of 6
baller4life
Super Contributor

If you haven't paid it yet keep hounding them for a pfd. If you paid already flood them with GW letters. Good luck! I will pm the email I used to get mine deleted.
Message 4 of 6
Thomased
New Visitor

So do you think I should pay them now less than the full amount or wait until and keep sending them Pfds? I don't want to pay them the full 2500 but I wld if they deleted it

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomased wrote:

So do you think I should pay them now less than the full amount or wait until and keep sending them Pfds? I don't want to pay them the full 2500 but I wld if they deleted it

I would try for the PFD a few more times.  If worse comes to worse, you would pay/settle anyway.  But if they say yes, it's a win/win.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.