Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I sue Equifax?

tag
Ralph1611
Established Member

How can I sue Equifax?

I am tired of their game. I was listed as an authorized user on my grandmothers credit card, only it wasnt me, it was my dad, we have the same exact name and somehow, they got us mixed up. Experian and Transunion complied and dont show it on my report, however, Equifax refuses to remove it. I faxed them a letter from the card company that "I" and removed from the account as an authorized user. They opened a new dispute ontop of the one I already had with them for whatever reason they did..even though I put down the right confirmation number. I just faxed a document to go with the original dispute. That account is maxed out and represents 97 pecent of my revolving debt. I want to take them to small claims court.... how do i do this

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How can I sue Equifax?

Did you have the principal cardholder contact the creditor, and ask the creditor to report deletion to the CRA?

Its the creditor's reporting, and if the CRA wont delete without hearing from the furnisher, they are most likely within their legal rights.

Legal action seems a bit extreme at this point.  

However, if the furnisher reports deletion to the CRA, and they still wont delete, that might be time to pull out the big guns.

Message 2 of 6
Ralph1611
Established Member

I called them while my grandmother was there. She doesnt speak english very well. They removed me and said they will/did report. I have a letter from the company saying i have been removed. I know it seems extreme and I might be overreacting, maybe I should wait....but not with the horror stories I hear about these guys. You think it might help if granny was there with me while she called Equifax to make changes? They also opened another dispute with me because I wanted to add that document to the original dispute. They said "Account belongs to someone else" and "Account doesnt belong to me" warrants two disputes. I dont understand. This is the only thing standing in the way of my first house.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I think the calls should be made to the OC, telling them that the CRA has stated that they have not received their reporting.

The CRA is the middle-man.  They have in their files a reporting by a furnisher.  They rarely interject themselves into consumer assertions that a furnisher should have deleted.

Message 4 of 6
hdrider07
Regular Contributor

Do what Robert says first, you must make every effort to have it resolved through the OC, if the OC confirms in writing that they have reported to the CRA, and you have sent that info to the CRA and after they opened a dispute it still comes back verified then you should contact an attorney.  A little piece of advise since I just filed suit against EQ, apply for credit from a company that only uses EQ, if you are denied and because of the UTL then you have a better case.

Message 5 of 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

1-800-law-yers

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.