cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you check if opted out on Experian?

tag
TsuSurf
Contributor

How can you check if opted out on Experian?

I opted out permanently, but I don't know if it went through on Experian.  On EQ and TU it shows in the report that I'm opted out, but in Ex I can't see anything.  How can I find out if I'm opted out on Experian?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How can you check if opted out on Experian?

You should have received something in the mail from them that you had to sign to activate the permanent opt-out.

Message 2 of 10
TsuSurf
Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

You should have received something in the mail from them that you had to sign to activate the permanent opt-out.

I didn't recieve anything from EX.  Is there anyway to check online that you are opted out?

Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 10
MaRain
Regular Contributor

@TsuSurf wrote:

I opted out permanently, but I don't know if it went through on Experian.  On EQ and TU it shows in the report that I'm opted out, but in Ex I can't see anything.  How can I find out if I'm opted out on Experian?

What was the outcome of this, did you find out if you were opted out?

I am in the same situation (opted out 2x's via the website and 1x through the phone) and when I recently applied for, and was approved, for a Discover card, the next evening I checked my CR and there were 2 soft pull inq on my EX CR from 2 different CA's  This also happened (with 1 CA) when I applied for another CC in December. There is definitely something to the whole opt out game. There have been no soft pulls on EQ and TU since I opted out (although Discover pulled EQ first then EX).  

Back in the garden until 10/2015.

Starting Score: EQ 714, EX 658, TU 691 (pulled by mortgage lender on 10/7/14)
Current Score: EQ 656, EX 660, TU 660 (FAKOS pulled on 3/26/15)
Goal Score: EQ 760, EX 700, TU 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

I'd go and pre-app with a cc that sp EX...if they recommend a card you're not opted out. A few come to mind but I'm no cc pro yet:
Credit One
Citi
Chase
Probably a lot more
Message 6 of 10
MaRain
Regular Contributor

I tried Chase and and Citi, they did not have anything in their system but did make a recommendation. However, Credit One did prequal me and it showed up as a sp on my EX report...? Hmmmm....

Message 7 of 10
TsuSurf
Contributor

@MaRain wrote:

@TsuSurf wrote:

What was the outcome of this, did you find out if you were opted out?

I am in the same situation (opted out 2x's via the website and 1x through the phone) and when I recently applied for, and was approved, for a Discover card, the next evening I checked my CR and there were 2 soft pull inq on my EX CR from 2 different CA's  This also happened (with 1 CA) when I applied for another CC in December. There is definitely something to the whole opt out game. There have been no soft pulls on EQ and TU since I opted out (although Discover pulled EQ first then EX).  

I called EX and they said I'm temporarily opted out, but it still doesn't show on my report.  I haven't been soft pulled by anybody since, but I just tried the Credit One preapproval and they soft pulled me.

Message 8 of 10
MaRain
Regular Contributor

TsuSurf wrote:

I called EX and they said I'm temporarily opted out, but it still doesn't show on my report.  I haven't been soft pulled by anybody since, but I just tried the Credit One preapproval and they soft pulled me.

Since it was recommended to try the soft pull sites to test if I am opted out, I tried the preapproval at the creditcards dot com site and when I checked my EX report, it also shows up as a soft pull. And of course, EQ and TU doesn't show any soft pulls (except from my inquiries, credit monitoring and a couple of creditors, haha). 

I don't know but it seems like EX could have a potential lawsuit on their hands if they are allowing consumers the option to opt out but not following through on actually doing it.  If so, I am all in and I promise that I would allocate up to 10% of my settlement monies (up to $100k, haha) to help a few fellow myFICO(ers) pay off some bills. 

Message 9 of 10
TsuSurf
Contributor

@MaRain wrote:

@TsuSurf wrote:

Since it was recommended to try the soft pull sites to test if I am opted out, I tried the preapproval at the creditcards dot com site and when I checked my EX report, it also shows up as a soft pull. And of course, EQ and TU doesn't show any soft pulls (except from my inquiries, credit monitoring and a couple of creditors, haha). 

I don't know but it seems like EX could have a potential lawsuit on their hands if they are allowing consumers the option to opt out but not following through on actually doing it.  If so, I am all in and I promise that I would allocate up to 10% of my settlement monies (up to $100k, haha) to help a few fellow myFICO(ers) pay off some bills. 

Yea I've sent the request at least 3 times through mail (certified, priorty, and express mail).  I've also called many times.  I've stopped getting preapprovals but I'm not sure if I'm opted out or not on EX.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.