Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I dispute an inquiry??

tag
nicktheman
Regular Contributor

How do I dispute an inquiry??

There are 2 inquiries from the same company on my reports that I have never worked with and I want to get them deleted.  I noticed Equifax allows me to dispute that information online, but the other 2 bureau's I can not find any easy way to do it.  Is through the mail the only way?

Thanks!

7/23/2009 eq 650 tu 676
7/13/2009 EQ 642 TU 658
6/15/2009 EQ 631 TU 629 EX 623 (Lender Pulled)
2/8/2009 EQ 609 TU 589
10/7/2007 EQ 498 TU 507
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Re: How do I dispute an inquiry??

There is a rule, NEVER dispute Inq's through a CRA

I would send the person reporting the Inq a letter directly to them

Is it a creditor or a collection agency?

If it is a CA send them a DV for an UNKNOWN debt

Message 2 of 10
nicktheman
Regular Contributor

Why should you never dispute an inquiry through a CRA?
7/23/2009 eq 650 tu 676
7/13/2009 EQ 642 TU 658
2/8/2009 EQ 609 TU 589
10/7/2007 EQ 498 TU 507
Message 3 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

nicktheman wrote:
Why should you never dispute an inquiry through a CRA?

You'll get hit with a fraud alert. IMO, I'd dispute via mail if I suspected identity theft, but if there's a TL reporting as a result of that inquiry, then there's a chance that TL will either be deleted or the account closed.
Message 4 of 10
nicktheman
Regular Contributor

I already had a fraud alert on my credit report...what does that do?  Lower my score??
7/23/2009 eq 650 tu 676
7/13/2009 EQ 642 TU 658
2/8/2009 EQ 609 TU 589
10/7/2007 EQ 498 TU 507
Message 5 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

No, it actually is a good thing if there's a chance for ID theft and the like. No impact on your score at all. It is just a pain in the butt if it were added and you weren't expecting it. It also makes it harder to app for credit and can be difficult to remove. IMO, if the inquiry isn't yours, then go for it. Just make sure that there's no TLs reporting as a result of that inquiry.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

"If it is a CA send them a DV for an UNKNOWN debt"

What is this? I just had something show up on my credit report for the first time that isn't mine, and have no idea how to proceed. Any detailed steps? Totally confused. Anderson Financial is the one trying to collect.

Message 7 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

"If it is a CA send them a DV for an UNKNOWN debt"

What is this? I just had something show up on my credit report for the first time that isn't mine, and have no idea how to proceed. Any detailed steps? Totally confused. Anderson Financial is the one trying to collect.

DV = debt validation letter

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Message 8 of 10
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

I've disputed in the past never had a problem.
CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you wish to dispute an inquiry direclty with the person who submitted the inquiry, they can simply dismiss it without any need to respond on the merits.

Issues relating to credit inquiries are specifically exempt from the direct dispute process.  16 CFR 660.4(b)(iii).  Disputes of inquiries are only provided by way of a dispute with the CRA.

Disputing inquiries through the CRA is difficult, primarily because of the way the inquiry process works.

When a party makes a request for a consumer's credit report, they must provide a certification under FCRA 604(f) and 607(a), providing  one or more of the permissible purposes set forth in section 604.

The CRA accepts the truthfulness of such self-certifications, so has their behind covered in providing them your CR.  To challenge the permissible purpose, you must find out what was provided to the CRA, and then challenge its accuracy.  If the CRA simply relies on the submitted certification, they can verify under their own reinvestigation authority.

A real catch-22.

You can submit a request for the certification provided to the CRA by sending the CRA an information request under section 609(a)(1) and (2), which entitles the consumer to any information in their credit file.  Then you would have factual information upon which to challenge accuracy of the inquiry.

Its a long process, and by the time concluded, the inquiry will most likely no longer be included in credit scoring.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.