cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get CRA to remove Un-Paid CLOSED Colections?

tag
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

How do I get CRA to remove Un-Paid CLOSED Colections?

In a previous post, I stated that PRA, Midland and ERC are all reporting CLOSED status on EX and EQ.  It's an unpaid debt!  What do I need to do to get the CRA's to remove them??  All 3 are on my husband's CR and only PRA is on mine. 

Removing them should bump my husband's Credit score some right?  I mean they are still reporting a status every month.

Thanks

Starting all over again!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do I get CRA to remove Un-Paid CLOSED Colections?

@kennerchick wrote:

In a previous post, I stated that PRA, Midland and ERC are all reporting CLOSED status on EX and EQ.  It's an unpaid debt!  What do I need to do to get the CRA's to remove them??  All 3 are on my husband's CR and only PRA is on mine. 

Removing them should bump my husband's Credit score some right?  I mean they are still reporting a status every month.

Thanks

Unless the debt is not yours or incorrect & you can dispute accuracy. The only way I have seen people  successfully have baddies removed was to arrange with the CA a PFD. Try & make arrangements to pay them but make sure you have in writing that they will PFD. I am no expert here so maybe some one else will chime in & give you better advise. I didn't read your previous post, so maybe I'm missing something. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't. They have no obligation to remove accurate information from your report, even if an item is closed.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Negative items report for at least 7 years, regardless if they are open, closed, paid or unpaid. Your only hope is if it's not yours and you can dispute on that basis. Otherwise, pay it in exchange for deletion. Most creditors will not agree to do this but it is worth a shot. As mentioned, get it in writing before paying a cent.
Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is basis for getting a closed, unpaid collection deleted from your credit report, providing that the debt collector no longer has active collection authoroity.

Reporting a Closed status on a collection is the debt collector's statement that their collection is no longer Open.

A collection can be closed in one of two ways.

The first is by way of payment of the debt, which automatically closes the collection to further collection activities.  CRA policy is thst a debt collector should NOT delete their reporting of the collection based on payment of the debt.  In that case, the closed collection reamins.

The second way a collection becomes closes is if the debt collector has had their collection authority terminated, and the debt remains unpaid.

That occurs when either the owner terminates their assigned collection authority to the debt collector, or the debt collector was the owner of the debt, and sold it to another.

In both of those cases, CRA policy mandates that the debt collector delete their reported collection.  That CRA policy stems from their desire to thereafter prevent two collections from simultaneously being reported on the same debt.

If the debt is unpaid and the collection is actually closed, then file a dispute on the grounds that the debt collector no longer has collectin authority,and the debt is unpaid.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if they are reporting closed? Sick of it hitting my credit
Message 6 of 11
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Robert. Appreciate the help. I'll do this today.
Starting all over again!
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked and I have 2 unpaid collection accounts that are showing closed on all 3 bureaus....so you're saying those can be disputed??  (Thanks for asking this question!)

Message 8 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, provided you assume that the reporting of Closed means what it says..... that the collection is terminated.

There is no other reason why a debt collector would update the status of their unpaid collection to Closed unless they were updating to show that they no longer have active collection authority. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Find out if the CRA sti has collection authority. If they do when you file a dispute the account will update. It does not reage the debt but it may look like it's a recent collection that will ding your score.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.