cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get these medical bills off my credit report?

tag
WildCherry
New Visitor

How do I get these medical bills off my credit report?

I have 17 derogatory accounts on my credit report, all medical. They range from 2007-2012. Even if paid they stay on, which is still a negative from what i'm told. How can I handle this myself and remove these. If I do a debt validation letter, don't they only have 30 days to validate and then I can dispute? 

One more question how do I find out who these collectors are.. address phone and all. It doesn't really say on the credit report. Just a few letters like NCO or something w/no contact info. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: How do I get these medical bills off my credit report?

@WildCherry wrote:

I have 17 derogatory accounts on my credit report, all medical. They range from 2007-2012. Even if paid they stay on, which is still a negative from what i'm told. How can I handle this myself and remove these. If I do a debt validation letter, don't they only have 30 days to validate and then I can dispute? 

One more question how do I find out who these collectors are.. address phone and all. It doesn't really say on the credit report. Just a few letters like NCO or something w/no contact info. 

Welcome to the forum

NCO is the CA=colection agency

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
WildCherry
New Visitor

Thanks!  I know NCO is the collection agency.  But there is not contact info for them listed on the actual report

Message 3 of 5
racer-x
Valued Contributor

I have nothing to offer other than this:  I read/saw an article somewhere that there is currently a bill in congress concerning medical collections on CR's.

The bill will make all paid medical collections to be deleted after 45 days from ones' CR's.

I had forgotten about this til now....my S.O. is in a similar situation but not quite as many collections, about 8.

Going to research now.

edit:  Here it is - http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s2149/text

http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post.aspx?post=d6d4ecf0-6546-40f7-9f1e-d75f07e68552

I know you're wanting/needing to fix your collection problem asap, but at least this is some hope for down the road.

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@WildCherry wrote:

You can get your free reports from annualcreditreport.com if you haven't in the last 12 months.  One from each CRA.

Those reports will tell you who the CA is.  No, they have no time limit to respond to a DV, if ever.  Them not responding is not a basis for a dispute.

I would start by contacting the OC of theses accounts.  See if they offer any type of financial assistance.  If they do it would be possible to have most, if not all, of the debt wiped out.  If that occured the CA would have to delete as there would be no debt to collect on.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.