cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I improve your score from good to excellent?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I improve your score from good to excellent?

Hello,

I have been trying to improve my score for over a year now and finally I have reached a mark I can't go above. Couple of years back my credit score was in 500's because of missed payments, late payments, account going to collection and high credit usage. Finally I managed to get my credit to 745 (Fico 9)

I have 3 late payments with Bofa which they are refusing to remove even after letter of goodwill. Similarly I have 3 late payments between 2 capital one accounts. I had one Citi credit card which went into collection and I paid it off. I have a student loan of $29000 carrying $13000 balance, I paid off $20000.

My credit card limits are very low, $700, $500 and $850 respectively. I have been trying to get CLI but to no success. My last missed payment on my actove credit card was 30 months back. 

Even if I pay off my student loan, I don't think its going to improve my credit. I really want to go above 800 mark. Can you recomment me a way to do it? I have following things in my mind to try.

1) Add my rental payments to my report

2) Taking out couple of small loans (Unnecessary - furniture etc) and pay it off.

3) Since, I am not able to get a CLI on capital one, get a new credit card with higher limit (will I be approved with 745 score)?

4) Try again with Capital one and BoFa to get my late payments removed (I tried it with their executive department)

5) Lastly, hire a credit repair agency to improve my score

Please let me know if any of this options will help or if you have any other ideas? Unfortunately I don't have anyone who could make me an authorize user. 

My credit report is pretty new too, with my oldest being 4 yrs 1 month. 

Really appreciate your help,

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I improve your score from good to excellent?

Also my credit cards are paid in full, I use 30% of my limits and pay it off on the due date.

Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:

Also my credit cards are paid in full, I use 30% of my limits and pay it off on the due date.

Allowing only one to report a small balance each month (no more than 9% of its CL) will give you a Fico boost. This entails paying the rest right before the statement cuts unless its a Chase account. With Chase if you pay down to 0 they will report it as such.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So basically if I have 3 credit cards, with same statement date with limits of $500, $700 and $1850, I can pay $700 and $1850 credit cards in full and bring the balance down to $0 and carry a balance of $25 on $500 credit card? Is this Azeo method? 

is this how it works or am I missing something here?

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:

So basically if I have 3 credit cards, with same statement date with limits of $500, $700 and $1850, I can pay $700 and $1850 credit cards in full and bring the balance down to $0 and carry a balance of $25 on $500 credit card? Is this Azeo method? 

is this how it works or am I missing something here?

Some call it AZEO, yep. You only need do it if you are apping for credit if not dont worry about it.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Student Loans are helping you, giving a mix of credit. Especially since you've already paid a bunch down, I wouldn't pay those off just yet.

Do you have three credit cards open and reporting?

Congrats on getting to 745 with only a 4 year history and prior lates. That's actually something you should be pretty proud of! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.