cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prioritize needs and credit issues?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I prioritize needs and credit issues?

I agree with the above posters! $180 a month is way too much for a TV... especially when you get can a decent 19" at Wal-Mart for around $100.00. I also had to pick up a second job for the time being. It is in no way fun and I'm pretty much exhausted but we have to do we have to do and it will be worth it in the end! Good luck to you!
Message 11 of 17
w87

Thank you everyone for your responses, especially bdhu for the breakdown. I'm writing everything down and making a budget now. The TV has a few more weeks left on it and then it's mine. I will not get anything else for RAC. My tv/net is bundled. My computer recently crashed so it's he only thing I have. I do think I can get it lowered though. My water bill is pretty high. I did have company this past month which probably made things worse... Showers, excessive hair washing, dish washer I will monitor those things better.

As far as transportation, there are no stops near my home or job. I would have to walk for an hour to make a stop.

Starting Score: 568
Current Score: 568
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 17
elim
Senior Contributor

It may also be time to make a resume and start looking for a better paying job. Sometimes just looking is enough to get a buck or two out of your current employer. Let them know you aren't surviving on your current income and you are looking for any advice they may have. Can you work extra hours? Any openings coming up that may pay more?. etc.

Hang out here on a regular basis and the right path will find you.

Good Luck, We are all pulling for you big time.

Message 13 of 17
w87

Thanks Elim. My compensation will end changing soon and I will be making more in commission (current off season in this industry). I feel like everything happens at bad times. It sucks, but I feel better that everyone can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Message 14 of 17
w87

Be*

Message 15 of 17
SCF
Valued Contributor

Do you have federal or private student loans?  If any of the federal loans are in default, you should look into rehabilitation.  Doing rehab is far preferable to your wages being garnished.  Any federal loans in good standing should be on an income-based payment plan like IBR or PAYE depending on what offers the best terms and what you qualify for.  The student loan forums here have a lot of food information, and you can also contact your servicer to start the application for income-based payment.

As far as your expenses - are your cellphone or internet/cable under contract?  If not, they need to be changed substantially.  For cellphone, a company like Page Plus or Cricket (which now uses AT&T), can get you a smartphone plan with a low data allowance for $40 per month.  A basic phone costs even less.

For your cable/internet, why do you have internet if your computer has died?  Even cutting it for a few months would save enough to pay off one or more of your collections, and then you can consider what your options are - most people like internet + Netflix or Hulu for cheap entertainment, but maybe you don't need internet and you'd prefer to pay for cable?  Any chance you can share WiFi with one of your neighbors?  They might welcome the help paying their bill.

You also need to look at your utilities - what can you do to bring down water and electric usage?  There are a lot of good energy conservation resources out there, but my first idea would be to turn up the thermostat or only run the A/C during limited hours.  The more you can cut, the faster you can get yourself back on the right course.

Message 16 of 17
elim
Senior Contributor

@SCF wrote:

Do you have federal or private student loans?  If any of the federal loans are in default, you should look into rehabilitation.  Doing rehab is far preferable to your wages being garnished.  Any federal loans in good standing should be on an income-based payment plan like IBR or PAYE depending on what offers the best terms and what you qualify for.  The student loan forums here have a lot of food information, and you can also contact your servicer to start the application for income-based payment.

As far as your expenses - are your cellphone or internet/cable under contract?  If not, they need to be changed substantially.  For cellphone, a company like Page Plus or Cricket (which now uses AT&T), can get you a smartphone plan with a low data allowance for $40 per month.  A basic phone costs even less.

For your cable/internet, why do you have internet if your computer has died?  Even cutting it for a few months would save enough to pay off one or more of your collections, and then you can consider what your options are - most people like internet + Netflix or Hulu for cheap entertainment, but maybe you don't need internet and you'd prefer to pay for cable?  Any chance you can share WiFi with one of your neighbors?  They might welcome the help paying their bill.

You also need to look at your utilities - what can you do to bring down water and electric usage?  There are a lot of good energy conservation resources out there, but my first idea would be to turn up the thermostat or only run the A/C during limited hours.  The more you can cut, the faster you can get yourself back on the right course.

+1

I know it sux but it might take a few months of ramen noodles and a box fan. I'm in the same boat paying off debt and my GF hasn't made a student loan payment in awhile so she's about to join me in the poor-house. But in time it will bring us far beyond where we started and the sacrifice will be worth it. Time to pinch some pennies until season starts again. Smiley Happy  oh yeah, I'm in the boat business near the great lakes and don't do much while there is a foot of ice covering them. I know about the hell of seasonal work Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.