Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I rebuild my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I rebuild my credit

I have a score of 520 & need a 620 to buy a home . The biggest thing on my credit is back child support  $17,000 it started at $10,000 , I pay child support each month & $50.00 towards back time but it goes up %10 on the balance each month which is $170.00 each month and I think I also have about 5 collection totaling about $1,000 . I just bought two CD's for $1500 and got a loan on them and a $500 secured credit card , what else can I do ? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
katecrime
New Contributor

Re: How do I rebuild my credit

i would have put the $2,000 towards my baby but that's just me

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

CD's aren't nearly as high as the interest you're aqruing on your child support.  You need to get the principle down quickly, or the interest alone will kill you.  That debt alone, since it is open will continue to kill your score for as long as it's there.  That needs to be your main concern.

Message 3 of 7
leah5570
Frequent Contributor

I'm not entirely sure on the laws for reporting past due child support, but some states I've heard, when brough current, remove the child support entry. If there is anyway you could apply more towards the past due balance that would help bring it down, and the interest charges on it.

If indeed your state does remove the child support entry for bringing it completely current, your score will definately shoot up. It would be a very good incentive, since being updated monthly on your credit report, it throws your credit/debt ratio out of whack, and is a recent derog. update each month as well.

How recent are the collections? You say you have five totaling about $1k. First off, create a binder and make a dedicated section for each of your CA's. All copies of your mailings to them and their mailings to you have their own section. So helpful when you're waking a giant and letters and documents and new CA's taking over old accounts start jumping around. (On the first page of my binder I have dates when I got my Scorewatch Alerts and the scores I got...more motivation) First step, send DV's to each CA as soon as possible. Since the average amount of each of your CA's is about $200, in the PFD step, start with the one that is either cheapest, in SOL, most annoying, etc. Whatever works for you. Only send a PFD when you have the full amount of the collection available. You can of course negotiate a PFD with a lower amount, but most will say that would be ignored. Best advice offer full amount, so they get the most return, and you'll get the benefit of a deletion. Just work through each one. A paid collection weighs the same on your score as an unpaid, so your main objective would be to get it deleted.

Best of luck to you. It will take time, most importantly money, but you'll get there. Step by step does it. And when you're stuck on a particular CA, or letter you got from them, or response, etc., just bring it here and someone on here was bound to have dealt with the same company and might offer some advice to you.

katecrime -1

EQ. Starting Score 08/19/12: 545
EQ. Current Score 09/02/13: 611
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

The effects of waking a sleeping giant...
Message 4 of 7
katecrime
New Contributor

what?!  -1 for suggesting to pay the child support?!

what a crazy world

Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@katecrime wrote:

what?!  -1 for suggesting to pay the child support?!

what a crazy world

I'm with you on this one Kate. I'm all for repairing and rebuilding but I wouldn't give a hoot what my score was or if I was able to buy a house as long as my child was taken care of first.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 6 of 7
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

I agree with everything leah5570 said about DV and PFD.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.