Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove duplicate accounts?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I remove duplicate accounts?!

Long story short, I defaulted on three student loans. At some point, they were owned by Nelnet. Eventually they were owned by Sallie Mae/Finance Authority of Maine and I rehabbed the loans. They were picked up by Navient when I completed rehab and I ultimately paid them off. On my credit report, it shows:

- three tradelines from Navient for $1,175, $1,450, and $3,500 with open dates of 9/7/06, 9/7/06, and 9/6/07, respectively. All three tradelines show closed, paid/never late

- three tradelines from Nelnet for $1,175, $1,450, and $3,500 with identical open dates. All three tradelines have a status of "closed-- transferred" and show 11 lates each.

The rehab was supposed to eliminate all negative history associated with the loans and it did, with the exception of Nelnet. I have contacted them twice through their site, sent disputes through the bureaus, wrote the Ombudsman, emailed a GW letter, and most recently emailed the CEO. I got a call today from the EO saying the rehab details didn't apply to them, long story short.

I'm confused. How can I have identical loans showing as paid, never late, while a separate tradeline shows 11 lates during the same period I was "never late" ?! Between the three tradelines, that is 33 lates and it's naturally hurting my score. These seem like duplicate tradelines. What am I missing? Any strategies for removal?

School loans forum is dead, so I hope no one minds it's posted in the rebuilding forum. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I remove duplicate accounts?!

Bump

Message 2 of 8
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Long story short, I defaulted on three student loans. At some point, they were owned by Nelnet. Eventually they were owned by Sallie Mae/Finance Authority of Maine and I rehabbed the loans. They were picked up by Navient when I completed rehab and I ultimately paid them off. On my credit report, it shows:

- three tradelines from Navient for $1,175, $1,450, and $3,500 with open dates of 9/7/06, 9/7/06, and 9/6/07, respectively. All three tradelines show closed, paid/never late

- three tradelines from Nelnet for $1,175, $1,450, and $3,500 with identical open dates. All three tradelines have a status of "closed-- transferred" and show 11 lates each.

The rehab was supposed to eliminate all negative history associated with the loans and it did, with the exception of Nelnet. I have contacted them twice through their site, sent disputes through the bureaus, wrote the Ombudsman, emailed a GW letter, and most recently emailed the CEO. I got a call today from the EO saying the rehab details didn't apply to them, long story short.

I'm confused. How can I have identical loans showing as paid, never late, while a separate tradeline shows 11 lates during the same period I was "never late" ?! Between the three tradelines, that is 33 lates and it's naturally hurting my score. These seem like duplicate tradelines. What am I missing? Any strategies for removal?

School loans forum is dead, so I hope no one minds it's posted in the rebuilding forum. Thanks in advance.

It is suppose to delete negative history prior to rehab. It usually does very little good to contact Nelnet (who is a servicer for the US Dept of ED for the most part, and act as actively collecting on defaulted fed student loans).  When it was successfully rehabbed and began reporting with Navient, Nelnet's tradelines should have had all negatives removed, or the tradelines removed all together. 

Because the information being reported is inaccurate, you can dispute the Nelnet tradelines.  It doesn't matter if you really were late and that those lates are part of your payment history, when the Governement offers a GW that they will remove them when you complete a rehab, then those negatives should be removed.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate how student loans report.. Mines shows 16 student loans. The 8 from my sallie mae (original owner) which is closed/sold and the 8 from navient when they bought them. I would hate to see the damage if I'm ever late. 8 loans going late would kill me!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2b2rich wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is suppose to delete negative history prior to rehab. It usually does very little good to contact Nelnet (who is a servicer for the US Dept of ED for the most part, and act as actively collecting on defaulted fed student loans).  When it was successfully rehabbed and began reporting with Navient, Nelnet's tradelines should have had all negatives removed, or the tradelines removed all together. 

Because the information being reported is inaccurate, you can dispute the Nelnet tradelines.  It doesn't matter if you really were late and that those lates are part of your payment history, when the Governement offers a GW that they will remove them when you complete a rehab, then those negatives should be removed.

Right. So I did dispute them with all three bureaus and the tradelines remain. What is my next step?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

Message 6 of 8
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote: 

Right. So I did dispute them with all three bureaus and the tradelines remain. What is my next step?

All 3 bureaus?  What did you dispute on them? (there should be something along the lines that the lender agreed to delete, etc).  What did the dispute results state?  
I would say your next step is to contact each of the bureaus and get the contact info of the person who 'validated' your dispute and then contact them and remind them that these were suppose to be removed after you completed rehab.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2b2rich wrote:

@Anonymous wrote: 

All 3 bureaus?  What did you dispute on them? (there should be something along the lines that the lender agreed to delete, etc).  What did the dispute results state?  
I would say your next step is to contact each of the bureaus and get the contact info of the person who 'validated' your dispute and then contact them and remind them that these were suppose to be removed after you completed rehab.

Yeah all 3 bureaus. Have not heard back from Equifax yet but TU and EX dispute results were "new information." The updated report has the status as "current; paid or paying as agreed," which is the same as what it was. The remarks are "PURCHASED BY ANOTHER LENDER; TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER OFFICE." 

I think the issue is they are saying because I rehabbed after the loan went to Sallie Mae, that is why Sallie Mae is obligated to remove negatives history, but they are not. However... I believe they are...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.