cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove my name from public records?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I remove my name from public records?

Awhile back ago in 2007 there was a judgement for 2000 with a phone company. It has been satisifed a long time ago. My name still showed up in the county's public record. I was wondering if I can get that removed? I called the county court and they told me to call the phone company. That's not helpful! 

Please help! Thank you! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: How do I remove my name from public records?

@Anonymous wrote:

Awhile back ago in 2007 there was a judgement for 2000 with a phone company. It has been satisifed a long time ago. My name still showed up in the county's public record. I was wondering if I can get that removed? I called the county court and they told me to call the phone company. That's not helpful! 

Please help! Thank you! 

I beleive a public record will always stay with the county but they will come off of your report in 7 years or so. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you. It's already come off my report. That's too bad I can't get it off. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Public Records are a completely different matter from your credit report.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Please help! Thank you! 

I had a Public Record situation with a Federal Tax Lien. The Lien "Self-Terminated aka Released" from 1994, yet still was reporting to the Public Record, and ultimately to the CRA's. After notifying the IRS and filing a 12277 form, the IRS mailed me a verification letter stating it has self-released and is no longer valid.  I went down to the Courthouse's Clerk of Court Office and gave them the letter. The Clerk of Court would not remove the lien from the Public record stating that they needed the IRS to notify them personally, and not me bringing in a letter from them. Here, I had an IRS computer screen document from the IRS showing in highlighted (by the IRS Agent) that the Federal Tax Lien is no longer valid and has self-released in 2014, and the dumb broad still stood her policy ground. I made a huge scene and demanded that a State Attorney (one is there on site during business hours) be asked to the window and that I wasn't leaving until he came. People were watching this go on for about 15 minutes of her and I going back and forth. She couldn't understand that the IRS Lien was released, and she swore that as long as it was in her system, that I still owed it. Ignorant City Worker!

Well, the State Attorney comes to the window and I explain what the issue was. That I needed that Public record removed because the IRS Lien is and was released and no longer valid. After he read all the papers from the IRS, he stated that "The City can not remove any item unless notified by the IRS itself. (The IRS does not report self-released liens). But, after our back and forth, the State Attorney said what they can do is add to the Public Record that "This lien has been "Self-Released" per the Internal Revenue Service. Well, that did the trick!

I went home and disputed all 3 CRA's for removal, and all 3 were removed. The State Attorney even turned the computer screen towards the window so I could see the note in the computer. He was very intelligent, respectful. and helpful. The woman Clerk of Court could not have been more ignorant, self serving and a PITA! She had no clue what to do except follow policy and procedure. A typical worker drone without a thought in her head.

All in all, only the phone company can get it removed, Call them and demand someone other than a front line service robot to help you.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.