Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tackle Macy's?

tag
kmercy
Valued Member

How do I tackle Macy's?

I have a CO from Macys that was last updated on 1/10/2010, so its set to come off in 2017. The balance is 1539.00.

now, Northland Group has tried collecting the debt but they are not listed on any of my reports.

Should I contact Macys and attempt a PFD or contact Northland and settle for a less amount?

I've heard and read that Macy's is tough with deletions. Has anyone had recent success or specific contacts where I should send my requests out to?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How do I tackle Macy's?

First, did the debt collector purchase the debt, or are they only an assigned collection agent?

If they purchased the debt, you can no longer PFD the OC.

Even if the debt collector only has assigned collection authority, a PFD to the creditor would only be for deletion of their reporting (e.g., the charge-off).

If they accepted payment and the debt collector still has colleciton authority,nothing would prevent the debt collector from reporting their collection, although they would also have to show that it is paid.

My advice would be to contact the debt collector and make them a pay for not reporting offer.

Only theycan agree on their own reporting or lack thereof.

Message 2 of 8
kmercy
Valued Member

Macy's still has a balance on the CR which is normal even after charge-off. However, Northland has not reported on my reports as a collection. They have only mailed me letters to pay, here and there.

I'm not sure if I could contact Macy's for a PFD or just settle with the CA and then goodwill Macys for removal.

What do you think?
Message 3 of 8
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@kmercy wrote:
Macy's still has a balance on the CR which is normal even after charge-off. However, Northland has not reported on my reports as a collection. They have only mailed me letters to pay, here and there.

I'm not sure if I could contact Macy's for a PFD or just settle with the CA and then goodwill Macys for removal.

What do you think?

Any luck with this ? My DW is in the same boat. Northland doesnt report but they keep calling her. Willing to PFD but obviously tricky since OC is still reporting, She Called OC ( Macys ) and they said she had to call Northland. Smiley Mad

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 4 of 8
ruafraidofme
Established Member

Macys doesn't usually sell debt. Northland is the collection agency they usually assign the debt too so northland can not report. You will get much better terms of a settlement with nortland than macys themselves however Macys will not delete EVER.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A debt collector who does not own the debt and is only assigned as a collection agent can still report their collection the same as one who owns the debt.

They can report at any time they choose unless and until you impose a cease collection bar.

If the debt collector has contacted you regarding collection of the debt, they were required to have sent you dunning notice within 5 days after their initial communicaiton.

The significance of dunning notice is that it sets a 30 day period for the consumer to send a DV request that will impose a cease collection bar on the debt collector.

Before considering options, if one is a possible DV before you consider payment of the debt, did they send dunning notice, and if so, when?

If a DV would still be timely, you may or may not wish to send on......

Do you contest the debt, or are you looking to settle it?

Message 6 of 8
juniornj23
Established Contributor

It happen to me too i call macys and they told me that i have to deal with northland
Amex ED (2000) Amex BCE (2000) Amex macys (5000) Amex Gold , VENTURE (5000) MC PLATINUM (600) CAP QUICKSILVERONE (1250) CAP QUICKSILVER (4500) CAP QUICKSILVER (3500) PENFED AMEX (5000) PENFED CASH REWARDS (25,000) PENDFED REWARDS VISA SIGNATURE (20,000) UPROMISE (1000) NFL (4000) OVERSTOCK (2800) HSN (3200) DISCOVER IT(8500) AMAZON PRIME (10000) MARVEL(7000) BOF VISA(2000) BEST BUY VISA CITI (9000) BLISPAY (9000)Amex Magnet (10,000) Uber (3100)

WELCOME TO 100K CLUB . LAST APP 08/29/18 Credit Score 8 TU 720 EQ 705 EX 724

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

CARD I want .
Chase Freedom and US cash +

Now back to the garden until 2020
Message 7 of 8
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

A debt collector who does not own the debt and is only assigned as a collection agent can still report their collection the same as one who owns the debt.

They can report at any time they choose unless and until you impose a cease collection bar.

If the debt collector has contacted you regarding collection of the debt, they were required to have sent you dunning notice within 5 days after their initial communicaiton.

The significance of dunning notice is that it sets a 30 day period for the consumer to send a DV request that will impose a cease collection bar on the debt collector.

Before considering options, if one is a possible DV before you consider payment of the debt, did they send dunning notice, and if so, when?

If a DV would still be timely, you may or may not wish to send on......

Do you contest the debt, or are you looking to settle it?

Pay up and settle.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.