cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I write an Pay for Delete letter?

tag
strong_lady
Regular Contributor

How do I write an Pay for Delete letter?

Hello everyone

I have read the forums for writing an pfd but i just want to make sure that I got it right.  What is the correct way to write an letter.  Could someone send it to me?  Also... does it matter if its for an credit card company, hospital bill or any other bill or does it vaires?  Should I call first and tell them that I will pay the whole balance if they send me an pfd letter or should I be the one to send it first. 

Do you usually have to pay in full for an pfd or can you make monthly payments with the creditor deleting the transaction after you have paid or must you have the whole full balance.  I have an hospital bill from 10 years ago and its about $1,500 would it be insane to ask them to do an pfd if i make monthly payments until paid off in full?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I write an Pay for Delete letter?

use the user search feature on the upper left,

type in PFD letter, something should come up.....
Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

use the user search feature on the upper left,

type in PFD letter, something should come up.....
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen people talk about asking their creditors to do a pfd with a payment plan, but not seen where anyone has posted back the results. You can certainly ask, all they can do is say no. If it is that old and is with a CA, you can negotiate with them on a settlement amount.
Makes changes where needed. Courtesy of Tuscani:

Collection Agency
1212 Maple St
City, State Zip

Re: Collection Account for Original Creditor Account #: 00000xxxx

Amount: $25.00

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to inform you that the validity of this debt is disputed. I am not sure of the account number, as I have never heard from you regarding this account. The account number I have is the one listed on my Experian credit report which omits the last few digits.

In the spirit of compromise, I am willing to pay this account IN FULL (or settlement percentage) if you agree to immediate deletion of this account from any and all credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion). The purpose of this settlement is merely to have this item removed from my credit files. It is not to be construed as an acknowledgment of liability for this debt in any form.

If you agree to the terms and accept this agreement, certified funds for the settlement amount of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) will be sent to Collection Agency in exchange for full deletion of ALL references regarding this account from my credit files and full satisfaction of the debt. As certified funds will be used for payment, there shall be no waiting period regarding the deletion of this account from the credit reporting agencies.

Collection Agency agrees to delete ALL information regarding this account from the credit reporting agencies WITHIN TEN CALENDAR (10) DAYS following receipt of payment as specified above and will not discuss the terms of this settlement with anyone, excluding your client on this account. If contacted by any third party, including credit-reporting agencies, Collection Agency will not acknowledge that any settlement offer was made, accepted or executed and will, in fact, deny knowledge of any such account.

If you agree to the above terms, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead explicity agreeing to the same terms as the above settlement offer and have it signed by an authorized representative of Collection Agency. It will be implied that this letter shall constitute a legally binding contract, enforceable under the laws of my state.

Your response must be postmarked no later than 15 days from your receipt of this settlement offer or this offer will be withdrawn and I will request full validation of this alleged debt, as provided for by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Please address all correspondence regarding this account to:

You
123 Any Street
City, State Zip

Message 3 of 9
strong_lady
Regular Contributor

Side

Thanks so much

Strong
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would a letter like this work even if you know the debt is valid?

Message 5 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@strong_lady wrote:

I have read the forums for writing an pfd but i just want to make sure that I got it right.  What is the correct way to write an letter.  Could someone send it to me?  Also... does it matter if its for an credit card company, hospital bill or any other bill or does it vaires?  Should I call first and tell them that I will pay the whole balance if they send me an pfd letter or should I be the one to send it first. 

Do you usually have to pay in full for an pfd or can you make monthly payments with the creditor deleting the transaction after you have paid or must you have the whole full balance.  I have an hospital bill from 10 years ago and its about $1,500 would it be insane to ask them to do an pfd if i make monthly payments until paid off in full?

Hi strong,

A couple of questions...

Are you talking about the original creditor (OC) or a collection agency (CA)?

Is this still reporting on your credit reports?

What is the statute of limitations in your state?

What is the date of first delinquency on this account?

Let us know the details on this account. It may be that this account is no longer collectable. Also, because it is a medical bill, you may be able to get it removed via the HIPPA process (if it is still reporting). Give us the details.

Message 6 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would a letter like this work even if you know the debt is valid?

Welcome to the forums,

I've seen many threads on this board recently, that the CA's are reading just the first line and think you are disputing the debt, instead

of reading further to know it's a Pay for Delete letter.IMO, keep the letter simple. Google PFD letters or use the search function here.

I would suggest to do your homework first before sending a PFD letter,know your state laws, in some states sending a letter like this

can reset your SOL and you don't want that to happened,especially if the CA don't accept the agreement.

Let us help, start another thread and post the info about the debt, you want to use the PFD letter for.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the process for the HIPAA?  I have medical bills I am asking about.  They are at a CA.

Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the process for the HIPAA?  I have medical bills I am asking about.  They are at a CA.

The HIPAA process isn't discussed on here. Google for more info. IMO, the HIPAA process never matched up with the law and the CRAs and CAs have caught onto that. It used to be very easy to get medical collections off after paying the OC and using the HIPAA process, but now not so much. There are plenty of examples in here of folks following the process to a "T" only to pay a debt and have no deletion. IMO, DVing the CA then sending a PFD is safer.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.