cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do cra's handle delete letter if CA doesn't remove?

tag
ndkblondie
Contributor

How do cra's handle delete letter if CA doesn't remove?

If a collection agency agrees to delete but then doesn't do it, I understand that you can send the cra's the letter promising deletion and they will remove it.  How exactly does this work?  Doesn't the cra just send a code to the ca and not the letter to verify off of?  If the cra doesn't have it in their system that it is to be deleted, does the bureaus override them?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How do cra's handle delete letter if CA doesn't remove?

In my opinion, notifying a CRA that a furnisher has made a commitment to delete based on payment of a debt is not wise.

The CRAs have a clear written policy, stated in their credit reporting manual and in their reporting agreements, that deletion should NOT be made based on payment of the debt.

To notify the CRA of such an agreement is to ask them to enforce deletion on a biasis that is directly against their own policy.

Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ndkblondie wrote:

If a collection agency agrees to delete but then doesn't do it, I understand that you can send the cra's the letter promising deletion and they will remove it.  How exactly does this work?  Doesn't the cra just send a code to the ca and not the letter to verify off of?  If the cra doesn't have it in their system that it is to be deleted, does the bureaus override them?

I agree with Robert.  Never send the CRA a deletion letter.  The CAs have agreements with the CRAs not to delete a TL based solely on payment.  It could be an issue for them.

The CA can delete for whatever reason they want and NOT tell the CRA why.

How long ago was this paid and the agreement made.

Message 3 of 6
Sxubrh
Established Member

Contact the CRA and they will give you the address to send a copy of the letter from the CA about the deletion.

Message 4 of 6
ndkblondie
Contributor

This is not in reference to a paid collection.  I'm asking regarding other situations such as the ca sending a letter saying the account it closed and they will delete but then they don't follow through.

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ndkblondie wrote:

This is not in reference to a paid collection.  I'm asking regarding other situations such as the ca sending a letter saying the account it closed and they will delete but then they don't follow through.

I would say it would depend on what the exact situation was for the deletion and how long it has been.  Is it a valid account, a fraud account, not yours?

It does take up to 90 days for a deletion to occur.

In some situations I would file a BBB complaint and in others, where the FDCPA or the FCRA are involved, I would use the CFPB.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.