Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you dispute inquiries?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you dispute inquiries?

I just began my rebuilding journey about a month ago.

How do you go about getting inquiries removed/deleted?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do you dispute inquiries?

You don't. Either you authorize the pull and a inquiry gets recorded or credit card companies, collection agencys or other, looking in your report can request your credit report and a soft inquiry (a inquiry that doesn't affect your score) gets recorded.

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 2 of 13
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

Inquires only have a small and very temporary effect on credit scoring. If you are rebuilding there are much bigger and more impacting things to be concerned about and work on.

Message 3 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In order to obtain a consumer's credit report, a party must submit a statement of their permissible purpose, whiich need only provide one or more of the purposes set forth in FCRA 604.  Once they have provided a statment of permissible purpose, the CRA fills their request.  The CRA, at that point, considers the inquiry to be factual, and does not entertain anything less than clear proof of lack of any permissible purpose.

The only basis for disputing an inquiry is to provide proof to the CRA that the party did not have a permissible purpose.

That is extremely difficult, as it first requires one to know their stated purpose, then challenge it.

A conumser is not privy to the contents of the statement provided to the CRA, so must first obtain a copy.  Then they must provide evidence that the stated purpose is incorrect or does not apply.  By that time, the one year period that it counts under FICO scoring has most likely passed, making it primarily academic.

Yes, you can dispute.  No, it is not likely to suceed.

Message 4 of 13
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

In order to obtain a consumer's credit report, a party must submit a statement of their permissible purpose, whiich need only provide one or more of the purposes set forth in FCRA 604.  Once they have provided a statment of permissible purpose, the CRA fills their request.  The CRA, at that point, considers the inquiry to be factual, and does not entertain anything less than clear proof of lack of any permissible purpose.

The only basis for disputing an inquiry is to provide proof to the CRA that the party did not have a permissible purpose.

That is extremely difficult, as it first requires one to know their stated purpose, then challenge it.

A conumser is not privy to the contents of the statement provided to the CRA, so must first obtain a copy.  Then they must provide evidence that the stated purpose is incorrect or does not apply.  By that time, the one year period that it counts under FICO scoring has most likely passed, making it primarily academic.

Yes, you can dispute.  No, it is not likely to suceed.

Exactly...

I had Comcast pull my credit back in 2012 to set up service... and in the middle of the online paperwork I lost connection and went back the next day and did it again... and they pulled my report again.

I disputed with EQ for the duplicate credit pull and got a "an inquiry is a factual record of access to your credit report.  Please take this matter up with the original creditor."

I didn't bother...  too much of a hassle and they've since aged off.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had an old creditor, who I no longer did business with, HP my credit without my permission. When I found out (by seeing it on my report) I called them and threatened to sue them for an FCRA violation.  They President of the Company called me back within 20 minutes, apologized profusely and by the next day, the inquiry was deleted from all 3 CB's. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, can only dispute if a legit HP you didnt authorize. 

I had to dispute 2 HPs from PenFed.  I was affected by the Department of Homeland Security hack.  I contacted PenFed and they removed them from my CR within 2 weeks.

Message 7 of 13
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep.. which technically speaking is why I was stuck with the double Comcast pull.   I did authorize them to pull my credit again when applying for service.  At the time I didn't think much of it... figuring they'd just use the pull from the previous day.

Nope.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep.. which technically speaking is why I was stuck with the double Comcast pull.   I did authorize them to pull my credit again when applying for service.  At the time I didn't think much of it... figuring they'd just use the pull from the previous day.

Nope.

Yeah, they get you somehow

Message 9 of 13
NichelleN
Established Contributor

My experience is the same. When applying for a BOA card, my credit was pulled twice. When it happened the second time, it was after a statement that it would not be pulled. I called back the next day and spoke to an individual who had the extra inquiry removed. It was quik and painless but it was done through the creditor, not the credit reporting agency.

More than enough credit.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.