Did you mean: 

How do you figure out utilization percentage

tag
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: How do you figure out utilization percentage

@rckstrscott wrote:

@UpmyscoreinFL wrote:
Is the percentage based on per card or total balance verses credit limit available? I have a few high balances and one maxed card. If I pay off the small ones and try to a pay a chunk of the maxed put store card will this give me a decent boost. If I have to calculate utilization by per card I am sunk. There is no way I can pay off my high card any time soon. I have been trying to knock out the small cards that also have the highest interest rates. Also if the card is closed I should try and leave a small balance right? So they keep reporting the limit in my utilization percentages? Is that right?

If you close a card and leave a balance, wouldn't this mean you would own money to them and if the account is closed, wouldnt this become a dergo (charge off or collections) in time?!?!

-scott

I also thought that if you closed a card, the balance was still reported but the credit limit wasn't (since you'd no longer have credit with them after closing the card) - which would be terrible for one's utilization.

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 11 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@modernsurrender wrote:

I also thought that if you closed a card, the balance was still reported but the credit limit wasn't (since you'd no longer have credit with them after closing the card) - which would be terrible for one's utilization.

Sometimes the CL is reported even after an account is closed. If both the balance and CL are reported then the account is factored into utilization.

Message 12 of 13
cd2004
Regular Contributor

@modernsurrender wrote:

@rckstrscott wrote:

@UpmyscoreinFL wrote:
Is the percentage based on per card or total balance verses credit limit available? I have a few high balances and one maxed card. If I pay off the small ones and try to a pay a chunk of the maxed put store card will this give me a decent boost. If I have to calculate utilization by per card I am sunk. There is no way I can pay off my high card any time soon. I have been trying to knock out the small cards that also have the highest interest rates. Also if the card is closed I should try and leave a small balance right? So they keep reporting the limit in my utilization percentages? Is that right?

If you close a card and leave a balance, wouldn't this mean you would own money to them and if the account is closed, wouldnt this become a dergo (charge off or collections) in time?!?!

-scott

Yes I have a card with Tribute that has been closed since 2009 and it is factored into my utilization. I am hoping to get it paid off this year. Also I have another closed credit card with a balance that has disappeared from my credit report for over a year now

Current 3B scores May 2022: EQ: 806 TU: 798 EX: 797
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.