Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you know if you're blacklisted?

tag
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

How do you know if you're blacklisted?

I fear I my be blacklisted from Chase and BofA, having burned them both for about $2000 each, sold to collections, paid for less then full.

Those two are the only two baddies left on my EX report, everything's fallen off the other two reports.

Chase has a few cards I would def like to add to my wallet.  BofA I don't really care about.

I've been denied for Chase a couple of times in the past year.  I assume it's because they pull EX, EX is my worst, and it shows my burn of them on that report.

So I guess what I'm asking is, do I have any hope with Chase?  In late 2016 when the last two baddies are set to fall off of EX?  Or even after they're gone, will Chase still hate me?

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do you know if you're blacklisted?

@toothgrind3r wrote:

I fear I my be blacklisted from Chase and BofA, having burned them both for about $2000 each, sold to collections, paid for less then full.

Those two are the only two baddies left on my EX report, everything's fallen off the other two reports.

Chase has a few cards I would def like to add to my wallet.  BofA I don't really care about.

I've been denied for Chase a couple of times in the past year.  I assume it's because they pull EX, EX is my worst, and it shows my burn of them on that report.

So I guess what I'm asking is, do I have any hope with Chase?  In late 2016 when the last two baddies are set to fall off of EX?  Or even after they're gone, will Chase still hate me?

If you have paid them even for less than full value you are likely not blacklisted. The way one typically can tell is to apply and be denied for previous experience and  no credit pull at all. If Chase is pulling your report you most likely are not on the BL it costs them money to pull a credit report.

Message 2 of 10
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

If you have paid them even for less than full value you are likely not blacklisted. The way one typically can tell is to apply and be denied for previous experience and  no credit pull at all. If Chase is pulling your report you most likely are not on the BL it costs them money to pull a credit report.

Ah, excellent, that makes me happy, thank you!

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 3 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

How would you know if you are blacklisted period? 

Even if it's not on your reports?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Whitneyy wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

How would you know if you are blacklisted period? 

Even if it's not on your reports?

You dont know for sure until you apply and are denied for previous experience, this applies to older COs that are no longer on your reports as well.

Here is an example, in Nov I apped for the Citi Dividend card, the online approval was stopped due to a FA on my reports, so when I called they called me back at the number I provided on the app, the lady said it all looks good i am sendingit through now, a few seconds later she said its been stopped for something in 1996, I told her ya I IIB Citi in 1996, she could not force it through and I had to call another department to recon it, I did they said yes you IIB us in 1996 are you paying us off today?? I just laughed at them and said you are out of your mind if you think I am going to pay legally canceled debt, the app was then denied for previous account restriction. when I got the letter I called the EO and they told me the same thing "until you pay us off you will not be issued a citibank card", I laughed at them as well and just hung up. Over the past 2 weeks Citi has bombbarded my mailbox with pre selected pre approved offers of several of their cards, I laughed even harder as I was tearing them up..... The moral to the story is you never know unless you try.

Message 5 of 10
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Wow gdale....good to know, so there is a secret file.  

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 6 of 10
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Capital One seems to be the most foregiving, I had a recent Charge Off with them in 2009 yet they approved me in 2013 Smiley Happy

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 7 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@alienfico wrote:

Wow gdale....good to know, so there is a secret file.  

My thoughts exactly!

Woah. I would pay them off though if I wanted something major from them and would get it in return. But ONLY if that reason. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 8 of 10
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

I agree about Cap one. I don't think they have a blacklist. I burned them in 2003. Of course they sued me and got their money and then some but I have three cards with them now plus a Kohls card that's backed by them. In fact when I was first rebuilding they where the only ones to deal with me. Denied everywhere else. I'm guessing I could get a few others now as my score is at 630 but I don't want the HP hits until I'm in better shape so for now Cap one is my sole credit card provider unless you count fingerhut and gettington.
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you know if you have been blacklisted? Good question. I found out because various financial institutions informed me when I was denied credit. Interesting is Chase forgave me for my BK from 2001 (they ate a lot), and Citi forgave me (they ate a lot). It took eight years with Citi but I got back in very slowly and worked from there. Cap1 helped me with several cards that reported developing a solid credit file. Chase got me in the Providian and WAMU purchase. They left my accounts open (many people had their accounts closed). Very slowly over twelve years I proved to Chase I could perform and they allowed me to grow my holdings with them. Anyway both acknowledged a black list. Bank America allowed me a secured card and graduated me after nine months but refused to grow the card after due to blacklist (which they acknowledged) so I closed the account and moved on. Today my CB record is thick and strong (got that lingo from the financial institutions). Chase even converted my Chase Business Ink Cash Card to a Visa Signature and converted my Chase Freedom Visa to a Signature with CLs over $10K. There is hope!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.