cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you remove a judgement that is not yours?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you remove a judgement that is not yours?

My mom put me on the title of her house in case something happened to her. She never got my permission for this. She was taken to court by her Home Owners Association in 2004 and had a judgement placed against her. They garnished her wages and it was paid in 2005. Since my name was also on the title the judgement was placed against both of us and was on both our credit reports. She had another issue with them in 2007 and asked their lawyer (as part of the negotiations for her making payment) if they could remove the judgement from 2004 from my credit report and the did so. This year she was looking at her credit reports and saw that the 2004 judgement was never listed as satisfied so she contacted them to see if they could change the status. The lawyer entered the judgement as satisfied and the judgement has now shown up on my credit report again and it has dropped my FICO score from 793 to 703. I need some advice on what I can do to get this removed. The HOA lawyer has no incentive to help us out by having the entry removed from my report so should I even bother contacting them? Can I file with the District Court to have the judgement vacated against me since it was not my debt?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How do you remove a judgement that is not yours?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Seems as though I have seen this in a different post.

At any rate, if you did not agree to letting your name be added and had no knowledge of it, it is fraud.  I don't know how she managed to accomplish it anyway since they would probably have run a credit check on you and it would have to be refinanced in both your names.

You would need to file a fraud report against your mother, along with a police report.

Message 2 of 6
mauve
Valued Contributor

The good news is that if you don't want to file fraud and police reports against your mother (it doesn't seem like she had malicious intent, quite the opposite), it should fall off of your reports next year.  I'd try GWing the HOA lawyer and remind him/her of the original agreement.  It's worth a shot.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Carbusys
Contributor

No one in their right mind would have their mother arrested, especially when you are going to benefit evenually from her actions. I would try to find the original agreement removing the derog from your credit report and demand the HOA abide by it. I think they would. 

Starting: TU-605; EQ-603; EX-593
Current: (8/11/2010) TU-691; EQ-652; EX-655
Goal: 700 Club

Message 4 of 6
Carbusys
Contributor

BTW, myfico, if you are on the deed, you are a co-owner and the HOA has the right to sue you as well as all other owners.

Starting: TU-605; EQ-603; EX-593
Current: (8/11/2010) TU-691; EQ-652; EX-655
Goal: 700 Club

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carbusys wrote:

No one in their right mind would have their mother arrested, especially when you are going to benefit evenually from her actions. I would try to find the original agreement removing the derog from your credit report and demand the HOA abide by it. I think they would. 

No, I certainly am not going to file charges against my mom. She was just trying to make sure that I would get the house if she died. I asked her how she was able to put me on the title without my signature or anything and she said when she had it done the employee at the title company added my name without any questions and she did not know that it could cause any issues for me. I will contact the HOA lawyer and see if they will have the judgement removed from my report. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.