cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a new store card effect a credit score?

tag
missindependent
Contributor

How does a new store card effect a credit score?

Greetings! I was recently approved at Macy's ($600) and Bloomingdale's ($1000). I took a 6 point hit on my score. Will my score continue to go down or up? I also have limited credit history, one paid charge off, and two credit cards with low utilization/on time payments (combined credit line of $700). 

AMEX PRG (NPSL), Citi Double Cash ($1200), BECU ($1000), Barney's ($1000), Bloomingdales Store Card ($1000), Neiman Marcus ($700), Macy's Store Card ($600), Amazon Rewards Visa Card, ($500), Capital One Platinum ($500), Capital One QuicksilverOne ($500)

Starting Score: 543
Current Score: EX:649 EQ: 657 TU:661
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Good luck to all of our myFICO Fitness Challengers!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does a new store card effect a credit score?

@missindependent wrote:

Greetings! I was recently approved at Macy's ($600) and Bloomingdale's ($1000). I took a 6 point hit on my score. Will my score continue to go down or up? I also have limited credit history, one paid charge off, and two credit cards with low utilization/on time payments (combined credit line of $700). 

Thats not unusual for adding a 3rd and 4th account. You get the most FICO juice from the first two. Rest assured you are doing it right, and your scores will recover, just keep UTI% in the good range and make those payments. If you have at least 6 months of payment history on your current accounts, I would suggest apping with cap one (get two accounts) so you can be in good position to close out those two starter accounts.

Message 2 of 5
missindependent
Contributor

NormanFH you are amazing! You always give me the answers I need  Smiley Happy As much as I hate Crap1, I'll apply in 6 months. 

AMEX PRG (NPSL), Citi Double Cash ($1200), BECU ($1000), Barney's ($1000), Bloomingdales Store Card ($1000), Neiman Marcus ($700), Macy's Store Card ($600), Amazon Rewards Visa Card, ($500), Capital One Platinum ($500), Capital One QuicksilverOne ($500)

Starting Score: 543
Current Score: EX:649 EQ: 657 TU:661
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Good luck to all of our myFICO Fitness Challengers!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@missindependent wrote:

NormanFH you are amazing! You always give me the answers I need  Smiley Happy As much as I hate Crap1, I'll apply in 6 months. 

I can't complain too much about Cap One, they've been pretty good to me so far. I much prefer them to Vulture One and First Predator....LOL

Message 4 of 5
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@missindependent wrote:

I can't complain too much about Cap One, they've been pretty good to me so far. I much prefer them to Vulture One and First Predator....LOL

Lol. Brilliant.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.