Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the dispte process work?

tag
jhc7399
Valued Member

How does the dispte process work?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what happens after I dispute something on my CR? I have a few different NCO\99 collections on my CR and I am not sure what they are for so I disputed them to see who they were originally from to try and work something out to get them removed. EX sent me an email the next morning saying they were deleted, TU took a couple of days but told me the same thing and have not heard back from EQ yet. I guess what I am trying to figure out is do they verify these at all or just delete, then verify with the CA and add them back on if they hear back from the CA?

Thanks for your help!

Starting Score: 9/1/12 - EX:527 - EQ:586 - TU:547 - FICO:586
Current Score: 1/23/13 - EX:651 - EQ:679 - TU:628 - FICO:679
Goal Score: 700
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jerrod76
Valued Member

Re: How does the dispte process work?

Message 2 of 4
jhc7399
Valued Member

Great article, thank you. I guess there isn't much of a method to the madness we call our credit reports!!!

Starting Score: 9/1/12 - EX:527 - EQ:586 - TU:547 - FICO:586
Current Score: 1/23/13 - EX:651 - EQ:679 - TU:628 - FICO:679
Goal Score: 700
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The dispute process is directed at contesting the accuracy of reported information.  As part of the dispute process, the consumer bears the initial burden of identifying the asserted inaccuracy, and providing some basis for supporting how/why it is inaccurate.  A simple statement that the consumer does not recognize the information usually is not considered to have met the burden of a dispute.

The normal process for addressing the issue of lack of recognition of an asserted debt reported by a debt collector is to send them a debt validation request under FDCPA 809(b), requesting the identity of the asserted creditor, and the current amount of the debt.  That provides basis for recollection.

In response to a dispute, the furnisher is not required to document their finding of accuracy of their reporting.  They are required to investigate its accuracy, and provide a statement that it is verified as accurate.  You may simply get a response of verifcation of the dispute, and nothing more.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.