Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is proof of debt obtained?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is proof of debt obtained?

When you dispute a medical debt? How exactly is the debt verified? If i have a medical bill and they have no photo ID of me or anything like that, how can they even prove its my debt?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: How is proof of debt obtained?

So do YOU know if it is your debt or not?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When you dispute a medical debt? How exactly is the debt verified? If i have a medical bill and they have no photo ID of me or anything like that, how can they even prove its my debt?

google whycaht hippa guide 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They do not have to "prove" its yours to verify a debt. At most all they have to show is that the personal information matches yours. *Proof* is something for a Judge to evaluate in court.

OTOH, If you know that you have never seen the provider aledging the debt, and are willing to swear to such, you can use the ID Theft provision of FCRA 605B to get such questionable items removed from your reports.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh i know its my debt, but its the one collection i have that i don't want to pay for moral reasons, i will i have to i was just trying to figure out a way out of it without breaking the law

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.