cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is this fair. Any ideas of how to fix this?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is this fair. Any ideas of how to fix this?

For 4 years my credit score has been 750 plus, ever less, however this week I was looking to buy a car and it is now 635 ! It turns out that that there are 5 collections for medical bills for a TOTAL of $141 for all of them...I can't dispute these, I probably owe these bills and in fact as soon as I saw this  I contacted CAC and paid them. I realize this is my own fault, but I have a reasonable excuse. In September 2011 I had a stroke and recovery has been slow,it's no wonder that small bills like this got lost in the upheaval. My question is, how could this bring down a score by so such and seeing I have paid them, is there a process to appeal to the credit bureau on humanitarian ground because of what happened to me? Anyone tried this?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Re: How is this fair. Any ideas of how to fix this?

I haven't had a personal success , but I've read about many people here writing GW (goodwill) letters and being successful. There are samples in the forum you can search for and just tweek them to your situation. Best wishes for a speedier recovery and good luck! It's always good to read a success story!

Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

For 4 years my credit score has been 750 plus, ever less, however this week I was looking to buy a car and it is now 635 ! It turns out that that there are 5 collections for medical bills for a TOTAL of $141 for all of them...I can't dispute these, I probably owe these bills and in fact as soon as I saw this  I contacted CAC and paid them. I realize this is my own fault, but I have a reasonable excuse. In September 2011 I had a stroke and recovery has been slow,it's no wonder that small bills like this got lost in the upheaval. My question is, how could this bring down a score by so such and seeing I have paid them, is there a process to appeal to the credit bureau on humanitarian ground because of what happened to me? Anyone tried this?

Welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems and the resulting collections. Since they are all paid all you can do is write GW (GoodWill) letters to the creditors who reported these (not the CRA's) and try and explain your situation and see if they will make a GW adjustment. Be aware that collections are scored the same whether paid or unpaid.

If you'll do a search here onsite for a particular CA you might get some ideas how others appraoched this.

Good luck to you and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, by creditors, do you need cac and nco if the hospital, who is the actual creditor?
Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, by creditors, do you need cac and nco if the hospital, who is the actual creditor?

Whoever reported the collection. In other words whoever you paid is who you need to contact with a GW.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.