cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before new accounts improve score??

tag
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Re: How long before new accounts improve score??

@guiness56 wrote:

HP don't drop after 12 months, it is after 24 months.  They are removed from FICO scoring after 12 months.

New accounts are not considered new when they hit the year mark.

I didn't realize they hung around for 24 months. Thanks!

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 11 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If it is an OC account, yes.  ALL OC accounts are factored into your AAoA.

Collections from 3rd party CAs are not included in AAoA.

Message 12 of 15
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

I currently have an auto loan with a high limit of 10.3k and a balance of 4800, no lates. I have a Capital one card $300 limit, Credit One care $400 limit, and I'm an AU on my mothers Chase card 10k limit. No balance on any cards.

To help improve your Fico scores...do not let all cards report a 0.00 balance. Just trying to help :-)

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 13 of 15
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Is there no balance or you just pay in full each month if it's the later that's ok.  If you don't use cards you don't reap additional points.

As long as you are no tapping for anything it's even better if you don't pay full balance every month. You will accumulate more points by having 0balance then next month balance the paying down in odd ways.

always pay minimum on time but play around a little with reporting.  I have tried different things like spending 300$ say on one card and over 2-3 months getting it paid(all without owing interest) score continues to climb

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 14 of 15
Jim-WI
Valued Member

OP, this is my experience.  As always, YMMV.  I started tracking my EQ ScoreWatch on June 30 of this year.  On July 4, I apped for Discover and two USAA cards (Visa and MasterCard).  These were my first CC's I had ever applied for (I'm 38 years old).  Concurrently, I paid off my SL in August.  As you can see, my score took an initial hit, but then rocketed past my initial score.  I believe that this was in part due to a reclassification of myFICO account (because I didn't have any CC's up to this point, and it was hurting my score). 

You will see fluctuations in my score, because I am trying to find my best util on my cards (only letting 1 CC report a balance) to maximize my ScoreWatch score.  Please also note that this score included an Auto Loan, Student Loan, and a JC Penney's Card that I never, never used.  Before my 3 CC's, I only had 3 TL's reporting.  My oldest account is 19 years old and my AAoA is 7 years.  You are certainly heading in the right direction.  Please note that this is a marathon and not a sprint.  It took years and years to get my score where it is now.  Hope this helps you, and best of luck on your journey!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.