cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can a collection agency come after you for a bad bank account debt???

tag
NCGirl
New Contributor

How long can a collection agency come after you for a bad bank account debt???

Hello everyone, in 2007 my US Bank account was overdrawn about $400.00. A collection agency contacted me about it in 2009 and I paid it. Now another collection agency is contacting me about the same debt. I contacted US Bank and they say that they have no record of my payment.

But I'm wondering if I even have to pay this again at this point since the debt is almost 7 years old. I opened this account when I was living in Ohio. Does anyone know if things are different for bank account debt? Please advise before I pay this debt twice. Thanks,

Starting Score: 689
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 770

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Amex BCE, Discover, FNBO AMEX, Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa, Blue for Business
(In the garden until November 2013)
Next card Visa Signature - World Elite MC(Business)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How long can a collection agency come after you for a bad bank account debt???

Any unpaid debt never goes away.  They can continue trying to collect for years.

However, you said you paid it.  Do you have documents, can you get a bank statement?  Do you remember the CA?

Does US Bank own the account?  If they don't they would not have a record of payment.  The CA  would not be required to send it to them.

Message 2 of 3
907grown
Established Contributor

Re: How long can a collection agency come after you for a bad bank account debt???

FOREVER!! At least until they get bored trying to squeeze water from a rock...

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: EQ 764, TU 764, EX 740,
BOA AK AIR 30,000, Discover IT 6300, Freedom 25,300, Barclays RMC 15,660, Ring 15,000, BCE 15,000, QS17,000,AARP 15,000, ChaseFU 8,000,AND A LOT MORE!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.