cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do you wait before a GW for a 30 day late?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long do you wait before a GW for a 30 day late?

I have a 30 day late from one of my Cap one cards from 3 months ago.   I have 2 accounts with them total, all other payments have been on time and my balance currently between the two is $5.    I want to send a GW ask letter to the EO for the late, should I wait a few months?  Or send now?   I actually paid it late 2 days!   I had a medical problem and missed 2 weeks of pay at work, I have doc letters if that would help?   Really just unsure of the timing of when to ask for the 30 day removal.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Re: How long do you wait before a GW for a 30 day late?

Wait, you paid 2 days past due? Or 32 days past due?

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 days!  But it was still 30 days late.   Maybe it was 2 days after the statement.   Regardless, it was reported as a 30 day late.   I'm just not sure when to send the goodwill ask.

Message 3 of 10
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Robert or Norman will be able to explain detailed on what to do, I would make sure your 100% wern't 30-days late, check the due date, and the date you actually paid, if its not 30 I would email the EO explaining that THEY made the error of reporting a 30-day late when you really wern't and have them remove it.

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

2 days!  But it was still 30 days late.   Maybe it was 2 days after the statement.   Regardless, it was reported as a 30 day late.   I'm just not sure when to send the goodwill ask.

Did you get one or two late payment charges?

Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A payment is not reportable as a 30-late until it has reached 30 days after the billing due date.

An account can be late under the account agreement, but not yet reportable to the CRA.

You have 30 days after it became late (i.e., 30 days after the billing due date) to make the payment before it becomes reportable.

Check the billing due date and the date of payment.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok everyone thanks! I'll look into the actual late days BUT...my question is.....  in the case of a GW letter, how many months after the incident do you ask for removal?   

I'm sure they need a few months to have faith that you are an on time paying customer....but how long do you typically wait?    

Message 7 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok everyone thanks! I'll look into the actual late days BUT...my question is.....  in the case of a GW letter, how many months after the incident do you ask for removal?   

I'm sure they need a few months to have faith that you are an on time paying customer....but how long do you typically wait?    

I would begin at 3 months for a legit late payment of 30 days and continue at a rate of 1 a month till you actually get the GW. Good luck Smiley Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks Music, I will try that!    

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.