cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a cc company keep your negative account info?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does a cc company keep your negative account info?

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

This is kind of a stupid question but I was just wondering how long a credit card company (specifically wondering about GEMB Mervyns) keeps your negative account info in thier system. My account was closed in 2007. Will they keep the info for 7 years since that is how long it will stay on my credit reports?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How long does a cc company keep your negative account info?

A creditor can keep information forever. 

I have an old video rental account that went south 21 years ago.  To this day it is still in their system.

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

I have an old video rental account that went south 21 years ago.  To this day it is still in their system.

Memory unlike a goldfish.

Message 3 of 4
mauve
Valued Contributor

I resent the derogatory comment about goldfish.  I had a goldfish that definitely had a memory beyond the urban-legendary 3 seconds. To answer OP's question, expect the negative info on the account to drop off of your credit reports in 2014 and for the account to turn positive then and remain on your reports until 2017.  The company itself may keep the information in their system forever.

@llecs wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Memory unlike a goldfish.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.