Frequent Contributor

How long does a judgment hurt

I have a paid judgment that is 2 1/2 years old. It is the #1 and #2 things that adversely affect my score. Is this thing going to keep hurting me for another 41/2 years?

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long does a judgment hurt

Major derogs like PRs, CAs, and COs can frag your score through the end. Some have had success in here via removing paid judgments.

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I've read, contact the court that issued the judgment, most likely it's the civil court in the county where you live.

Call or go to the civil court clerk's office and ask "how do you vacate a judgment?"

I believe they will want you to file an "order to show cause".  She probably will have the forms there for you.

Hope this info helps.:smileywink: Some counties do have this info on their web sites.

ETA; If you live in New York a paid judgment is 5yrs.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Frequent Contributor

Ok. Thanks you guys. I'm down to this and medical collections. I will take a day off work and go to the court house. They are rarely answer the phone down there. In 2009, I had no idea how I would dig myself out of this mess. My boss told me she didn't think I would be able to do it unless I had a rich uncle come along and give me the money. But, I'm almost done . With God's help, I have paid over $20k back-some were settlements others were not. $3500 more to go.

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.