Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a judgment hurt

tag
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

How long does a judgment hurt

I have a paid judgment that is 2 1/2 years old. It is the #1 and #2 things that adversely affect my score. Is this thing going to keep hurting me for another 41/2 years?

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long does a judgment hurt

Major derogs like PRs, CAs, and COs can frag your score through the end. Some have had success in here via removing paid judgments.

Message 2 of 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

From what I've read, contact the court that issued the judgment, most likely it's the civil court in the county where you live.

Call or go to the civil court clerk's office and ask "how do you vacate a judgment?"

I believe they will want you to file an "order to show cause".  She probably will have the forms there for you.

Hope this info helps.Smiley Wink Some counties do have this info on their web sites.

ETA; If you live in New York a paid judgment is 5yrs.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 4
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

Ok. Thanks you guys. I'm down to this and medical collections. I will take a day off work and go to the court house. They are rarely answer the phone down there. In 2009, I had no idea how I would dig myself out of this mess. My boss told me she didn't think I would be able to do it unless I had a rich uncle come along and give me the money. But, I'm almost done . With God's help, I have paid over $20k back-some were settlements others were not. $3500 more to go.

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.