cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for Experian to remove old collection?

tag
technologiq
Established Member

How long for Experian to remove old collection?

I am a scorewatch customer and recently my Equifax score went from 660 to 729 thanks to a collection account falling off

I went and got my score and report from Experian and the collection account is still on there.     Is this something that I should just wait for or is Experian not so great at removing old stuff?

Incidentally, my transunion report from 07 and 08 said:

Date placed for collection: 05/2004 - Estimated date that this item will be removed: 02/2010 

Should I just wait till Feb and see?  I'm not sure its worth even writing any kind of letter or doing a PFD.

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How long for Experian to remove old collection?

Be sure you first know the actual, required drop off date.  It has nothing to do with the date of collection.  It is based on fhe date that you first went into default with the original creditor, and did not become current before the CA was reported.   The CRA is prevented from including the CA in any credit report they issue after 7 1/2 years from the DOFD.

How does the CRA know what date to use?  They use the date reported by the OC pursuant to FCRA 623(a)(5)(A), which requires them to report to the CRA, within 90 days of placing an account into collection, the DOFD to the CRA.  This is recorded by the CRA as the "FCRA Compliance Date/Date of First Delinquency" in Base Segment, Field 25, of your credit file.

If the OC did not properly report to Exp, the CRA wont know when to drrop the CA reporting.  So the fault may be with the OC, and not the CRA.

If you are unsure of the DOFD date they have reported, you can make request under FCRA 609(a)(1) for "all information in the consumer's file at the time of the request..."  This requires payment of a fee in the amount of $10.50, payable to the CRA, under the provisions of FCRA 612(f).

Message Edited by RobertEG on 12-16-2009 01:37 AM
Message 2 of 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

While I don't have anything to add to Robert's advice...I do want to add that it is a waste of money buying an EX score.  It is not a FICO & is absolutely meaningless.  $ave your money!!!!
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@technologiq wrote:

I am a scorewatch customer and recently my Equifax score went from 660 to 729 thanks to a collection account falling off

I went and got my score and report from Experian and the collection account is still on there.     Is this something that I should just wait for or is Experian not so great at removing old stuff?

Incidentally, my transunion report from 07 and 08 said:

Date placed for collection: 05/2004 - Estimated date that this item will be removed: 02/2010 

Should I just wait till Feb and see?  I'm not sure its worth even writing any kind of letter or doing a PFD.

Thank you! 

The report is just fine but as Bungalow said the score is useless. It's what's called a Plus score not a FICO score.

Message 4 of 6
technologiq
Established Member

Thanks for the advice guys.  I actually pulled my report because of the fact that I was applying for an AmEx (which I got) and saw they pulled from Experian.  In hind sight, because I have Scorewatch I'll never pay for an EXP score.  Oh well.

At this point, since the SOL in my state is 6 years I'm just going to wait.  I wish I could know, without pulling more reports, when the collection falls off TU and Exp but I don't plan on any big purchases for several months so no biggie. 

Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@technologiq wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys.  I actually pulled my report because of the fact that I was applying for an AmEx (which I got) and saw they pulled from Experian.  In hind sight, because I have Scorewatch I'll never pay for an EXP score.  Oh well.

At this point, since the SOL in my state is 6 years I'm just going to wait.  I wish I could know, without pulling more reports, when the collection falls off TU and Exp but I don't plan on any big purchases for several months so no biggie. 

Have you pulled your free reports from  http://www.annualcreditreport.com

The Experian and Transunion reports will show the drop off dates for each account.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.