cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for positive increase on score for settling a debt?

tag
kashley6405

How long for positive increase on score for settling a debt?

For those of you who have been repairing your credit:

If you paid off a collection account for a credit card, how long did it take for your score to reflect POSITIVLEY from it?

For instance, I paid off a collection back in December.  It showed on my credit report through a mortgage lender as of March as closed.  My credit took a good drop, like 10 points in April from the time before it was reported. 

Well, now I go to check my credit on Credit Karma (which also showed the 9 point drop at the same time the report from the lender did) and it shows as of this morning, a 31 point increase!

How long would it take to show a positive reflection on a credit report from settling an old debt?  Two months sound right?

I have found that over the course of trying to obtain a mortgage loan, Credit Karma has only been 5 points off every time from what I see on CK and what the lender acutally sees. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How long for positive increase on score for settling a debt?

It depends on who was reporting.  If it was a CA there generally is not a score increase unless the balance is showing on the OC account also.  By paying off the balance your utilization dropped, which is good.

As for how long it takes to show a positive outcome, it should be as soon as it is reported to the CRAs.  And that depends on when the creditor reports.  It can take up to 60 days.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.