Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long late payments count against you

tag
trc1962
Regular Contributor

How long late payments count against you

I have several different accounts with late payments listed on them and I am wondering how long they count very heavily against my score? I understand that negative information stays on the CR for 7 years, but as time passes do the late payments become less important in configuring my score? Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

Re: How long late payments count against you

The impact of a late really depends on someone's credit file. For someone with a score of 750-850 can see a drop of upwards of 100 points just for one late, while someone who has a 500 score would hardly see a huge drop.

so my question is, how does your credit profile look? # of accounts, AAoA, # of accounts in good standing (never late) vs adverse/potentially negative accounts. Any accounts a CO? Any Accounts in collections, paid or unpaid? 

In general, a new late will have the most determintal, immediate effect. As time passes, it's impact on the score is reduced. This is in relation to as time passes, AAoA increase and payment history increases. So the score increases on good habits as well as the negative impact is reduced as well.

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.